AD30VT review by Vox

Vox: AD30VT

Price paid: A$ 499

Purchased from: Rajen Music

I currently use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with alnico classic humbuckers. The style of music that I generally play is varied from 70's rock n roll to a rippin lead line such as Megadeth are famous for. By adjusting the tone and the volume on my guitar, i can turn a crap amp tone into a really sweet tone. Remember to use your guitar tonal and volume controls! The amp delivers a beautiful clean that is really shiny. It has quite a nice crunch tone too. But I have noticed that the higher in gain the amp goes, the worse it sounds. I play all my Metallica and Megadeth riffs on the UK Modern channel and the bass is really quite muddy and just lacks definition. The Mid range and treble could do with a bit more definition too. If your looking for a metal amp, then i'd look elsewhere. The effects sound great though.

I mainly play Hard rock/Metal. It does a fairly good metal tone, however the bass is quite loose in the fact that it breaks up. I can get quite a good hard rock tone out of it too. The Boutique clean channel is beautiful, my mates are all envious of it. I've been playing for 4 years now and had this amp for 2 years. It has served me well. I love the cleans it gives out. The hi gain tones are good, however they need definition which I think would be solved with a higher quality speaker. Seeing how I am upgrading to a Vox Night Train, I wouldn't be too upset if it were stolen, if I completely relied on it though, I would probably sit in a corner for a few days crying (Not really, haha) I would definately replace it though. For an amp under $500 AUD, this is definately the best amp in the price range for versatility and tonal reasons. If your looking for an all rounder amp, look no further than the Vox AD30VT Valvetronix.

I've lugged this amp from studio to home to my mates house to home again more times than I care to remember. The tube inside has remained undamaged despite being dropped and kicked over quite a few times during band practice. It has a Chrome grill that looks quite Vintage but also protects fairly well. If it was loud enough for a gig, I wouldn't take any backup. I have total trust in this amp.

The Vox AD30VT is a modelling amp with one 12AX7 tube in it. It allows you to have the versatility of an all digital solid state amp but have the dynamics of a tube amp. No it does not sound 100% like a tube amp, but you can really hear the power of the tube. It has 11 pre-amp models, from a boutique clean that really shines to a rippin' hi gain sound. It has 11 on board effects such as reverb, chorus, flanger, rotary, phaser and many more. The onboard EQ panel allows you to perfect the tone of the pre-amp to your liking. On the back is a line out/headphone jack. But the most ingenius feature of this amp is the power level dial. You can play your amp at an extremly quiet volume but have the dynamics of a fully cranked tube amp. The amp also has two channels which you can save your favourite tones into, aswell as a manual channel and a preset channel. The amp has all the features I need, the effects are top notch though. Some I don't even use and I wish that the EQ panel had much more versitility. The Hi-gain models barely change when you fiddle with their EQ. I mainly play in my back room which I have dedicated to jamming and mucking round. It does get played pretty hard, around 2/3 power with the master fully cranked. It has enough power for me, but I don't know how well it would do in a gigging situation.

säheltäjä
    phil2004 : i've had this amp for about a year now and i love it!! does anyone know if it's reliable in the long run though? I read terrible reviews on one website, almost all of them giving it a 5 or less for reliability, getting me worried that the circuitry is going to fry... the reviews here tend to differ and i dont know who to trust
    Well, I have owned mine for some 4 years using it hard. By 2 years and a month (the warranty was just exceeded) it did break (after playing 15 minutes it would go silent), but got it repaired for 50 and no problems have occurred since then.
    s_greenway : which is better for playing metal like a7x? this or the XL version
    XL, definitely.
    Way Cool JR.
    Not to be a dick but this is a solid state amp the only tube in it is a preamp tube not even a power tube. I am not stomping on anyone's toes they do sound good but they are a modeler amp with 1 12AX7 preamp tube. It is basically like getting a tube pedal/distortion pedal with a tube built in to get a tube like sound to put in front of a Solid state amp. It's like the misconception of Overdrive pedals they are made for tube amps not SS they drive tubes. If you want a different distortion for SS then get a distortion pedal. Long story short this is a SS modeler amp with a preamp tube Nothing wrong with that but that is what it is. Not a tube amp
    eduf93
    What's better, this one or the VT30?And what are the main differences?
    SG69
    these are GARBAGE your getting way to much electrical influence in your sound through one of these you'll never hear what your guitar actually sounds like! anyone wanna buy mine?
    Nameless742
    I own this amp too. It's nice, but the tone sounds sooooo much better with an overdrive pedal on it. really cleans the distortion up and gives you real crunch and thickness to the tone.