AD30VT review by Vox

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Vox: AD30VT

Purchased from: found it

The amp section gives you a choice of 11 amps I only use a few but you can still get some of the others to sound great as long as you keep the gain turned low. The heavy distorto-metal-high gain shit ain't for me so I stay with only the settings Blackface 2x12, Tweed 410 and the 2 Vox AC amps. You even have a knob on the rear panel that allows you to reduce the power output.You won't be playing stadium tours with this amp but what a nice inexpensive amp to have around the garage or bedroom!

I really like it for having a small, light amp to have fun with and not sacrifice great sound. Plus, with the many built-in effects I don't have to bring a pedalboard with me for jams on the fly. I wish I could comment on the original speaker but all I know is the Weber I dropped in sounds phenomenal and I'm sure it's a much better speaker than what came installed. What I don't like about it is that half the amp sounds are high-gain awfulness. If Vox devoted only 2 spots for that they could have added several usable toneful amp sounds. It's a nice sounding amp though and I like it. Sounds great whether I'm playing a G&L Legacy, Telecaster, Ric 360, Les Paul, or Prestige Musician (a big box 335-type guitar).

YouTube preview picture

Seems well-made. It came to me with a bad power section but I've had no issues with it.

The Vox AD30VT was made from the end of 2004 through about 2008 and my nephew found this at a home that he was clearing out when some tenants left. He gave me the amp -he doesn't play guitar- and it didn't have a speaker plus the amp would only power up for a couple of seconds. I had that problem repaired for $50 and I installed a Vintage Weber Blue Dog ceramic that I got for $65 a while back. I don't know what the Vox original speaker sounded like but this amp sounds awesome now! I had low expectations since it is a pretty cheap amp and I am stunned by how good it sounds. The Vox uses a 12AX7 tube for the preamp section and the later generation AD30VT (with the chrome grill) eliminates the output transformer and uses a coupling capacitor for the power. I don't exactly understand this stuff but this is how Vox is able to get tube amp sound from the AD30VT and keep the cost low. Whatever they did, it really works.