AD50VT review by Vox

Vox: AD50VT

Purchased from: Revolver

Currently I have a Fender Telecaster with one single coil in the bridge and a Gibson humbucker in the neck. I also occastionally use a SSS Stratocaster. The amp sounds fantastic with both of these. The amp models means that you can explore different settings to accomodate nearly any type of guitar. As stated before, I play classic rock and it sounds great. It can also handle some heavier sounding stuff as well. It has an automatic noise reduction which is fantastic if your guitar gives off a little noise. It is great for distorted stuff as well but if you are after a metal amp, it would be ok but there are better amps for metal out there. I can get nearly any sound. As I stated previously, it is great for British rock like Pink Floyd, Queen, Franz Ferdinand etc. It takes time to get use to the settings but once you master them, you can get nearly any sound. When volume is right up, it keeps a great crisp clean sound without much feedback. It is not a full valve amp but I believe it has valve distortion so it has a classic distorted sound when the gain is turned up.

I enjoy my classic/Brit/punk rock and it is a fantastic amp for this style of music. I have been playing guitar for 10 years. If stolen or lost I would buy exactly the same amp as it is in my price range. I can't believe that Vox are selling this for AUD$899 retail. The could easily be selling this for over $1000. I would have liked a traditional Vox cloth to cover the speaker but the metal guard on the other hand protects the speaker from possible damage. I enjoy the delay feature. There are strength and feedback settings for it and you can get the slight delay for Heavy rock sounds to the strong high feedback delay that U2 use. I compared it to the Roland Cube 60 and the Fender Princeton 650. IMO, the Vox was easily the best out of these three due to it is a valve-state amp compared to solid-State. A fantastic amp for a guitarist not looking to spend a massive amount.

Have only had it for 2 months but I have not had any problems with it. It has 50 watts of grunt with valve assisted distortion and I would use this at a gig without a backup. Amp has not broken down so far (touch wood)!

New model. I think this amp was made in 2004. Very versatile amp. I play a bit of everything but mainly classic rock. It really suits a British rock style (Led Zeppelin, U2, Pink Floyd, Queen, Rolling Stones, Oasis etc). Not sure about the channels. Doesn't have an OD channel but has a fantastic sounding valve distortion. Footswitch and headphones jack with external speaker jack as well. I wouldn't mind a vintage Vox cloth cover but the metal guard is good as well. Maybe a few more combinations like flanger and delay but nothing a footswitch cannot fix. It has a handy power setting where you can change power input but I don't really use it often.