AD50VT review by Vox

Vox: AD50VT

Purchased from: guitar center

I use it with a Schecter Omen 6 with dual Gibson burstbucker pros, I play a ton of blues and classic rock and it sounds pretty good with what I play. Sometimes if I run my tubescreemer as a boost the mids can get a little muddy, proper EQ fixes this though. It seems to not have a ton of noise problems but the high gain settings are a little noisey but that's to be expected. This amp can make any sound it wants becides deth metal. This is because the distortion isn't heavy enough and it doesnt get enough bottom end for the super muddy sort of sound which is a good thing. And one really cool feature is the clean does not distort when at high volumes, at full volume the tube does saturate and create some very good sounding distortion but other than that its clean until eleven.

It is a perfect match for everything really, I play mostly blues and classic rock though and it sounds golden. I've been playing for 2 years now and I own upwards of 2000$ in gear, I've been playing piano for about 9 years so I took up guitar pretty fast. I wish I had asked the sales person to play through it and take me through its paces so I didn't have to read the manual so closely but thats how I learn. and if it were stolen I would go find the guy Who did it and kill him and his family, then buy another. I love the moddels and I hate the models because they were made for single coils so some of the models need some tweaking for humbuckers. I love the reverb effect, it sounds very convinceing for dsp and has plenty of tweekable options like high freq dampening. I was going to buy a Peavey Valveking but this sounds pretty good and a valveking requires the normal tube amp mantenence. I wish it had an effects loop and another tube to use as a power amp to get the unique tube preamp poweramp interaction. Overall a great amp for the money totally worth every penny.

I've opened mine up and I have to say its built like a tank. It has 1 inch thick plywood holding it all together and some very thick mdf as well. And it has a metal grill so basicly you could smash your guitar into it and it would still play fine. It does require a new 12A 7 tube every couple of years but that's like 20$ so not that big of a deal.

This amp was made in 2006 and I got it bran spanking new with out of the box freshness. It is basicly two amps intertwined in a ton of technical jargon. It has 1 12AX7 tube in it, it is used as a second preamp to the dsp moddeling Vox uses, then it puts the signal through an effects chip with a ton of effects then back through the other half of the tube as a poweramp before shiping the whole signal off to a mostly transperent solid state power amp. It has 4 channels: a factory preset mode of each amp type, the manual mode which is just what the knobs say they are and two user presets that can be saved to the amp (the two user presets are footswichable).I use this amp to play blues, rock, folk, AC/DC style metal and classic rock and it sounds good through all of them. It has an 8 ohm extension speaker out and a line headphone jack. I wish it had a setting that was just the Vox AD50VT sound because it has no real sound of its own, and I wish it had an actuall tube power amp in it. I never use the noise reduction because it steals too much tone but works great.