AD50VT review by Vox

Vox: AD50VT

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

I use a Squier stratocaster, and up until now it sounded like a pile of crap. Now it's a different story, I'm only using the stock pickups and the amp delivers such a warm sound. I play mainly classic/hard rock, and occasionally metal. The amp is possibly thr best for the two primary styles I play. The higher gain channels, to me, don't really seem anything too special, they're good, but they don't outshine the Roland cube when it comes to metal music. I use an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, and use it on the clean presets and it's sound beautiful. The amp wont go anything heavier than Hard rock. But for anything else other than metal, it's top notch. Two of the clean channels sort of sound the same, one has slightly more bass than the other. that's my only complaint.

I've been playing for two years and I still have a Squier Stratocaster. I was thinking about getting another guitar after this to improve my sound. Now I don't think I need to. I love the sound of this amp, it's plenty loud enough for the type of small gigs me and the band do, if this was stolen again, I would most definetly go out and buy it again. It's an excellent piece of equipment for it's price range. Compared to the Roland and the Line 6 spider series. This brute comes out on top. The only effect I wish it has, would be a phaser, or a separate chorus effect without the reverb. Apart from that this thing is amazing.

So Far I've bashed it around a fair bit. To be honest I haven't had it long enough to judge it's reliability, but the amp seem fairly solid and not something that would just break because you kicked it. I knocked it a fair few times going up our stairs, the amp was left untouched unlike the rail that goes up the stairs.

The amp has 11 preset amp types to choose from, all of which the sound can be adjuested using the gain, middle, treble and bass settings. Also then on top of that you can add one of 11 effects to your selected amp type and select the tempo using a knob that allows you to change the speed of the effect. I.e. increasing the frequency on the flanger setting. Not only that but you can also store two of your selected sounds that you create. Apart from the fact that this amp is absolutely brilliant for it's price range, the feature far outshine those on any of the other amps I've seen. For example, there is a power output control on the back, usually turning a 50watt amp upto max would get you the best tone, but it's too loud for bedroom practice. So Vox have added this feature so you can turn down the power output but still turn the volume knob upto the max to achieve the best possible tone. The only awkward thing I find is that, things like the headphone and line out jack are located at the back and the input jack is located on the top of the amp.