AD50VT review by Vox

Vox: AD50VT

Purchased from: Guitar Center - Tallahassee

I got the floor demo amp from GC in Tallahassee since I had returned a palomino V32 I bought last week. I played this amp for about 10 minutes and said "OK, this is the one". I used to own a Johnson Modeling amp and was pleased with it but this outdoes it totally. The sounds are really good on the AD50. The heavier distortion sounds really sound like Marshall stuff, really powerful, clean crunchy distortion and well defined, not muddy or like a box full of bees. I really don't even need any of my pedals anymore but I'm using my Boss Mega Distortion turned way down as an overdrive through the clean channel so I have 3 channels to choose from on the fly.

I play mostly hair metal type stuff being a child of the '80s and this thing does it wonderfully. It has the best crunch sound I've ever heard comming from something that wasn't a $2000 peince of equipment. The clean tones or realy good to and it models the Fender cleans well a couple of different amp selections. I'm very pleased overall with this amp. I got a Crate Palomino a few weeks ago because I wanted an all-tube amp but it just couldn't cut it. There were quality issues and I couldn't push the tubes because it was way loud. I used to have the Johnson modeling amp so I decided to try this one because the preamp-tube type modelers do have a warmer sould than pur solid-state and this one is the best I've ever heard. Even my buddy whose a dedicated blues and Jack Johnson fanatic played my Ibanez through it and started playing a Sabbath song because the distortion sounds so good. That was when I knew it was really good. It it were stolen I'd be freakin pissed and would go get another one. For those of you wondering will it do "metal," well what is "metal" these days. It won't do like mid-scooped Pantera type sounds but anything short of that, yes. Hell, it may do it and I just haven't figured out how yet! Metallica, yes, Disturbed, yes, Billy Joel, yes, it's versitile. The only complaint I have is you can't tweak the effects very readily and the controls for the effects are a little complicated and I am going to have to look at the manual again. But anyway, I highly recomend this amp.

I read some reviews about burnt wiring after long/loud playing but I hope that doesn't happen. I've only had it a few days. They say Vox stands by their stuff pretty well though. We'll see I guess.

It's all detailed in the other reviews. The amp models are really good and it has a wide range of flavors to choose from. You can't individually program or combine the effects, it has a menu knob or either single or combined effects like flanger/chorus together but you can edit the sounds of the combinations. I got the optional 23 button footswitch so you have a 2 channel amp with bypassable effects on each channel. It's a 50 watt model so you can be heard playing with a drummer and other instruments but it's not loud enoght if you're gigging in a noisy bar situation, you'd have to mic it through the PA probably. For home use it's great because of the power attenuator and you can get full gain by pushing the tube preamp but then cut the power section down to quiet levels. That's what really sold it for me. They claim it has a minuturize push/pull power amp inside (somehow transistor-izde). Whatever it is, it does the just. For all the "all-tube" snobs reading, who freaking cares it is sounds good? I'd love to have a Rivera or a Mesa but my daddy won't buy me one, I'm 39, I work for a living and I'm a poor bastard. I wish it had a dedicated reverb knob for both channels but you can only use reverb as an option in the effects section. I'm using my Digiverb pedal and using the other effects options.