AD50VT review by Vox

Vox: AD50VT

Purchased from: Zzounds.com

I use an Epi Les Paul Standard though it and you can really hear the tone of your guitar through the amp. I do say I can get a real nice Rush tone out of it. The amp is really responsive to how you play. This might just be becuase I'm used to playing on a microcube. Also, unlike SS amps the AD50VT sounds better the more you turn it up. I've only had it cranked a few times but when I did it was always a good experience. Altough after I was done I couldn't hear very well. For heavy metal you would probably need a pedal but I don't know I really never play metal. The amp just sounds so good and you can get souch a vast amount of tones with it. I'm very Impressed.

I love this amp. I got mine as a B-stock off of Zzounds.com for $290. It was a steal and I haven't seen any flaws on it at all. I have been playing for a little over 3 years and upgraded from a MicroCube. This amp would work for home practice, Band practice, to indoor gigs easily. And it's not that heavy as it only wieghs like 45 pounds. For the price that I got this amp I can't imagine any thing better. Of course there are many better amps out there, But there a heck of a lot more expensive then this. If it was lost I would definatly get another one.

I would definatly gig without a backup becuase I can't see this thing breaking at all. The metal grill in front of the speaker seems very tough and it's shiny. The corners are plastic, But there very durable and thick plastic. The handle is mounted on with 4 screws and metal hinges. The back of the amp is enclosed with metal and wood. The only thing I've heard bad about it is the input jack falling into the amp. But I can't see how that possible if you actually look at your amp once in a while. The only maintenance I could see would be changing the tube ever 3 years maybe.

You probably all know the basic features now so I'll go a little more in depth. It has 11 amp models ranging from clean to heavy metal. You can save 2 programs then Switch between them with a footswitch. The effects are useable but pedals would be a better choice. The effects are very adjustable too. there's a tap button, edit knob, and a bypass button. They can all do different things according to the effect your using. There's also a noisegate that can come in handy. The amp does classic rock, funk, and clean very well. I don't really like the heavy gain channels becuase they get kind of muddy. But since metal isnt really my style I'm fine with it. I play a a lot of bands like Rush and Van Halen and it suits their style very well. Of course the amp uses tube pre-amp technology that really gives it the tube feeling. This amp gets really loud. Enough to shake things off walls. But luckily, the amp has a built in attenuator which gives you a good tone at low volume. Very nice features.