AD50VT review by Vox

Vox: AD50VT

...a pretty nice sound. While it's not completely warm as a tube amp, it still screams compared to most solid state amps. Especially on high gain settings, the notes just roar. I'm playing an ESP Eclipse with Seymour Duncan JB/59s, and the tone is wonderful. However, some amp models seem better than others. The low-gain models seem almost too trebly; onboard equalization is needed. The medium gain models, such as the AC15 and AC30 to the UK Modern sound great, and then the highest gain US High Gain and Boutique models seem a little too bass-y, so again, equalization is a must. The high gain settings are also noisy. I use a Boss NS-2 suppressor, which helps greatly, but unfortunately the onboard noise suppression only helps to a certain extent without compromising sustain. The amplifier also hosts a pretty wide range of onboard rack settings, include reverb, tap delay, flanger, and chorus effects. Some of them are great, some not so much. The reverb and delay effects are nice; they sound clear, realistic, and they are easy to use. Modulation type effects, however, are pretty cheesy sounding. Good to get the general idea, but I think serious users should look to pedals.

So now for the overall opinion. I love this amplifier. If I could change anything, I'd make the factory equalization a little better set, because it took a little while to learn how to equalize each individual channel. Yet I still think this amplifier was worth the money. Nowadays, you could probably find one used for a decent price. If you're looking for a solid, well-built modeling amp with a variety of effects that can fit almost any situation, then you definitely should look into the Vox.

The amp is built solidly, though mine hasn't seen too much abuse. The metal grille is solid and not flexible; the hard plastic body is pretty thick. The back is enclosed, so no worry of hooking a speaker wire on anything. I've gigged before with it, and it worked fine. Volume was pretty high, and I heard no cutting out or electrical problems. In all honesty, I see no need to ever replace this amp. It's great, and probably the best home-use amp I have ever owned.

In September of 2008, I began my hunt for a modeling amplifier for home practice. As a player who delves into almost every imaginable genre, I found it essential to pick an amplifier that modeled many amplifier types, had many tweak-able settings, wattage adjustment, and of course, good tone. Fate brought me to the Vox AD50VT. The amplifier is discontinued and was replaced in 2009 by the VT series. This unit was built in 2008 and was one of the last off the line. Again, versatility was the reason I purchased this amplifier. From Tweed Fender models to the classic Vox AC series, Marshall half-stacks to boutique amps, this amp has them all. The variety of head styles and time periods allows a player to essentially copy any popular tone. The amp has a preset channel, a custom channel, and two user-preset channels that can be changed via a foot switch and can have any of the 11 selectable effects matched along with them. The back of the amplifier displays a wattage selector, cab line out, and headphone jack. It's great for home and practice, but loud and clear enough to use for gigging. The amp is a hybrid amp, meaning it has a tubes in the preamplifier component, but solid state transistor components in the power amplifier. This results in...

Kevy Absolution
    the_hoodster wrote: Do they even sell this amp anymore? I have just gone looking for one on the internet and no where sells it, but I have found the XL version which I hear is just the same.
    It's replaced by the near-identical VT series.
    sincinho
    ok...i need a new AMP because im gonna start a band and my old amp is not good enough to handle the drums unless i turn the volume to 10, wich i hate, cause it sounds horrible. I dont have much experience with amps, a friend has a MG and i thought it sounded great, but as i said, i have no experience with amps. I usually play metal, and i have a gibson les paul junior, what should i do...any sugestions???