AD50VT review by Vox

Vox: AD50VT

Price paid: C$ 225

Purchased from: kijiji

I use a thinline tele with a Gretsch humbucker on the neck and a very twangy single coil on the bridge, and a few other mods. The amp isn't very noisy, there is noise reduction so you can stop the feedback on OD. The amp has a large variety of sounds due to 2 circuits it switches back and forth from, the amp selector, effects and the features. The clean channels distort at higher volumes, I used the speaker output, the amp has a really bad speaker. This amp specializes in distortion, when I play some distorted blues it really sounds nice. To get a "tube" sound you need to Drive the tube hard. Turning up the adjustable power level does the trick. Doesn't sound very "tube", theres something there for sure though.

I play Classic rock, britpop, blues and country as I said before on my modded telecaster. I own 3 other Acoustic guitars and 1 other electric. This amp is, the best match I could get with my money. If it were lost or stolen I would build a new amp. I love the Boutique setting. There is also this one amp setting ( I forget) that is very twangy. I compared this to a Roland cube, which was too trebly and quiet. As I said earlier I wish it had fuzz and an effects loop.

I would never gig on this. The feet are plastic and rubber. The structure is made out of pressboard with some kind of plastic coating over top. The amp has only 1 preamp tube so I have changed the tube once.. In 5 years? The amp has never had any problems.

The Vox AD50VT is good my styles are a bit demanding since I play classic rock, britpop, blues and country. 250$ for the amp with the pedal was a steal. The guy I bought it from doesn't play anymore, so he sold it cheap. The amp has 2 programmable channels, and 11 presets. You can use manual mode as a third channel if you have the channel/bypass pedal.The amp doesn't have an effects loop, thats okay because I use this for just at home and recording. Since you only need the preamp for recording, you can have an all tube recording! The amp is actually 65 watts not 50. (specs...look in your manual...oh yes I forgot we don't like to read manuals) There is 11 effects, 11 amp styles, a treble, mid,bass, master vol, and volume control. On the rear panel you can control how hard you Drive the tube. Many features, The amp is very powerful. The only thing I could really ask is fuzz in the effects and an effects loop.

sebban
    I recently bought a TS9(tube screamer) to boost the gain a little, and the "Uk modern amp" just screams now. Definitely does the job for a thrash metal distorion now.
    Daysleeper_05
    These amps are fantastically reliable. Bought mine secondhand but couldn't even tell. Although the distortion models on it are supposedly fantastic, I don't use them because I don't play thrash metal (seriously, how many types of overdrive do you need?). The effects options were better than the ones of the Digitech Ex-7 I bought. My favorite feature was the knob on the back that allows you to change the wattage. This allows you to get that full volume sound without getting full volume, if, say you're practicing late at night or your don't want to overpower your bandmate's weaker amps.
    kylebbb
    If you want an amp that sounds alright and has decent versatility, as well as a bunch of effects, then this is an option for you. If you actually care about really nice tone, then it's not. I had one that I used for a couple years, and I was fine with it. I recently bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and honestly, it makes my vox sound like absolute garbage. All in all, I'd call it a beginner's amp. If you don't know what kind of style or tone you want yet, then it's a good way to experiment. If you know what you want, go a different direction.