AmPlug AC30 review by Vox

Vox: AmPlug AC30

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

The sound produced is satisfactory for me. I do not venture to say this for everyone, though. I am a rhythm guitarist and I have not really tried out playing different sounds on it. It gives me all the sounds I want from it: the simplistic unfiltered sound straight from my pickups. Don't be expecting all tremolo, phaser and distortion from it.

Overall, I think this is a handy feature. It suits me well and has a satisfactory level of reliability & durability. Apart from a one-step-down appearance, the amPlug is great. I have been playing for five years now. This review has been based on my experiences using the amPlug on my Fender Stratocaster. It works with a bass guitar as well, but the quality of the sound isn't that great. If it were stolen of lost, I would get a new one fast. I bought the last amPlug in that store, the display product. I wish it had a playback function or a Bass amPlug, I ask a lot.

I think that in terms of reliability & durability, I would describe it, like an iPod. It would'nt break down on it's own. if you drop it, you might be worried. If you wash it, it's finished. If you treat it with a bit of care it will last you a while. It has never failed me in the two months that I own it. As of yet, to give you an idea of how much it is used, I have never found dust on it. I bring it to church, school, practices, and it gets jolted around in my bag sometimes. I've sat on it and it was OK.

The Vox amPlug comes in three variations: AC30 (clean sound), Metal, Classic Rock. This nifty is a headphone amplifier that plugs straight into your guitar. It is palm-sized, cellphone-thick and runs on two AAA batteries. For every two lithium batteries, you get 7 hours of functioning time. For every two alkaline batteries, you get 15 hours functioning time. The device itself is quite useful. As well as plugging your headphones into the amPlug, you can also plug them into speakers. An extra feature is an Aux input on which you can plug in any line-in and play along to your favourite songs. There are three knobs on which you can change the volume, tone and gain. The on/off Switch is located on the side of the product and there is a kind of "hole" for a telephone string (or whatever you might call it). The amplug is housed in a black plastic shell. Although I have had no problems with it so far, it looks kind of brittle (although I wouldn't worry if I dropped it). Vox thinks it would be nice to put a sticker on the front surface to make it look like an amp. However, it only makes the product look a bit like a cheap kid's toy. For Fender Stratocaster owners: despite any rumours that you have heard, the Vox amPlug fits into the jack all the way.

wbk666
    price paid - nil? it would be nice if you could add a RRP useful looking bit of kit though.
    micstarz
    Thanks for your comments wbk666 and thanks for correcting my mistake bungeeboy =)