AmPlug Lead review by Vox

Vox: AmPlug Lead

Purchased from: GAK

I use it with many different guitars and it works fine with all of them. The only problem I have found is when it is used with a stratocaster. This is because the input jack for a strat is on the front of the guitar and is at an angle to the body of the guitar. This means the amplug can and does come loose from the jack at times. I play 1980's metal and rock (Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden etc). The AmPlug more than copes with this style of music. If you however wish to play Blink-182 covers (God forbid) the amplug wont cope (thank goodness). The AmPlug can reach very high volumes so if you want you can put the head phones around your shoulders turn the volume up to 10 and play as if you had speakers. As I mentioned the delay is rather bad and it drains the batteries faster. If, however, the set delay is the delay wish to use it is alright. The tone is very good, especially for something so small and inexpensive. Compared to the AmPlug Metal the tone is less thick and more lead like. If like me you play glam metal this tone is also very good for rhythm playing.

To summarise, if your looking for something which requires no leads or plugging in to the mains, something which can do lead and rhythem tones very well indeed and something that isn't going to cost you hundreds of pounds, the Vox AmPlug is ideal. Yes, it isn't as good as a much larger and more costly amplifier but that is because it isn't a much larger and more costly amplifier. The only compettion out there that I am aware of is the Harley Benton version which is significantly cheeper but the tone doesn't compare to the Vox AmPlug. So all in all a very good, portable amplifier.

I have had my AmPlug for about a year now and it hasn't broken down. There is very little to go wrong with it. The batteries last a very long time, I think it's 15 hours with out the delay which is by far enough seeing as it isn't exactly going to be used as a main amp.

This amp is designed so that you plug it straight into your guitar. No leads are required because it has a built in jack. It has three very basic dials on it which are volume, tone and gain. It also has a rather poor delay option which you can't set the delay time for. It has a head phone jack but no speakers, meaning that you can only use it with headphones or plugging it in to speakers. It is very useful if you want to play guitar at night time or at the computer or your going away somewhere such as on holiday. This is because it is very light and very small and uses batteries.

Zeppelin Addict
    Amaseng wrote: "If you however wish to play Blink-182 covers (God forbid) the amplug wont cope (thank goodness)." Dude, shut up, seriously.
    +1 This is meant to be a gear review, not a place to be close minded and bash other bands. If you're going to write a review, do it right.
    Amaseng
    Georgei130392 wrote: meh no tubes
    PsiGuy60
    Roxxie Roxx
    PsiGuy60 wrote: The only problem I have with this unit is it doesn't fit Ibanez S series guitars. The bridge gets in the way and the output jack is barely big enough to fit it. Also, if you have your output jack on the bottom of your guitar (like with a Les Paul) it looks awkward. Really, I think this was made for regular stratocaster-style models.
    I use it with a les paul from time to time and don't really have a promblem with it. However, I guess that's because I don't change the dials much, I just keep them all at 10 (except volume, that would kill me).
    Georgei130392
    Roxxie Roxx wrote: Georgei130392 wrote: meh no tubes it costs less than 40. It's meant for convenience not sound quality. but i assure you it has remarkable sound quality for something so cheep.
    hence the ( )
    CrawlingHorror
    Electro-Harmonix has a headphone amp that you can run off of your pedal board and then listen to the results through headphones. It's only about $45. So soundwise, that gives you more options than the Vox of the Dunlop Guitar Ace. I use it. It's not perfect, but it's better than the others, I think.
    forsaknazrael
    The only problem I had with mine is that the volume control gets dirty easily. they should have added knobs instead of these dials. the dirt makes it get crackly. luckily, it's easy enough to just use some contact cleaner to fix it for a spell.
    CinderellaFan14
    if you use the output jack on the bottom of your guitar (like with a Les Paul) it looks awkward.
    Yeah, I could picture that. I'm sure it would work ok, but it would look a little strange, I'm sure. It may look better on a Strat, but it would still be a little different looking.
    sxdx13
    i love this thing, i think it has pretty heavy sound, i play punk rock mostly
    Roxxie Roxx
    Lord_Doku wrote: I love the Blink 182 hate. It is shared.
    Vypor
    Roxxie Roxx wrote: Lord_Doku wrote: I love the Blink 182 hate. It is shared. I think every one should make a thing of hating blink 182 in as many articles and reviews as possible. Make a sort of a signiture thing out of it.
    Not shared, I like Blink 1832, and love VOX. This is a great product for the road, but for at home, my Vox AD30 is wonderful.