AmPlug Metal review by Vox

Vox: AmPlug Metal

I'm using it with a Dean Razorback 255 with EMG 81 & 85 and whammy bar. As mentioned above, I play mostly metal, so it suits me fine. It's not noisy. This thing rips when it comes to doing natural harmonics, pick harmonics and harmonic squeals! Extremely high gain. F'ing brutal distortion for such a little innocent looking thing!

I've been playing for almost 30 years. If this thing was lost or stolen, even if it broke, I would by another. I love the overall sound and it's high gain capabilities. Best feature is that it almost sounds like a huge beast of an amp in your head. I used to have an old Fender Headphone Pak from the '80's which was much bigger and heavier, but had more effects. The sound of this blows it away. It would be nice if the little Vox could Switch to clean, like a pedal, though.

Absolutely no problems whatsoever in the couple years I've owned it... Except for a short while when I didn't realize I had the phones plugged in the wrong jack and didn't know it. Duh! My bad! Batteries last a pretty long time too! I can't remember when I last changed. It does look and feel a little cheap, just plastic, but what do you expect for the price? And like I said, I've had zero problems.

Not sure when it was made. I bought it when they first came out. This is not a versatile amp, but if you like a modern metal sound, it rips! I play mostly metal and usually like a more chunky, higher midrange sound when I play through a real amp, but it's fun to use this and get a super scooped out sound for something different. It is a headphone amp only, No special effects. You can vary the tone a bit by messing with the 2 tone dials on it our the tone dials and pickups on your guitar, but again, pretty much modern metal only. I use this whenever I need to be really quiet, which is frequently, since I have a little kid who goes to bed early. It's plenty loud in the earphones though.

renrie
    If you want to use a AmPlug without headphones, you could use speakers or something like that, or a Vox amPlug Cabinet Greets.
    YgO
    True, I forgot about that. A couple times I used mini speakers you can plug into an mp3 or ipod and plugged them into the little Amplug and it's like walking around with a little amp on your guitar, no ear phones necessary.
    TBFMVRA
    I've got an AmPlug myself (the AmPlug Lead) and it is epic. AmPlug's give amazing tone, especially when you consider how little it costs to buy one!