DA15 review by Vox

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Vox: DA15

Purchased from: Sam Ash

My first guitar on it was an Ibanez DT200 with stock powersounds. As a beginner and my ear wasn't as finely tuned the amp seemed amazing. The powersounds are terrible with harmonics, so I cannot pin that on the amp. The amp itself is superloud. I rarely brought the master volume knob past 9 o'clock. I usually kept it on higain2 with my volume cut down and the Gain no where past 2 o'clock. Even when I started out, I hated the Overdrive channel. It seems to have provided the worst sound of all the presets on the amp, no matter how much I tried to tweak it. I later switched to a Carvin Bolt-T S/S/S, and tweaked around with the amp around my AP11's. To the amp's credit, it's Auto Wah feature was a good touch, as long as gain is very low. The amp seems to suite only good clean sounds, whereas the distortion was muddy and dry. You can taste the inorganic of it.

The amp is only good for beginners, in my opinion. It boasts good cleans, but I feel that it's distortion is sub-par, as is it's speaker that crumbles under deep lows. Buying this amp taught me to go for solid-state amps (and tube amps, funds willing) and not digital ones. The sound just isnt organic, and the Overdrive preset is rubbish. I just recently sold this amp to fund a Hughes And Kettner Edition Blue 30DFX.

The amp is strong as steel, so far as I can tell. The only things I modified on it were the rubber nubs, I changed them to casters so I can push it along a floor rather than picking it up. The cabinet seems sturdy enough. I'm not willing to drop it down a staircase for experiments sake.

Its a digital amp with lots of presets; two cleans, three blues, two crunch, three high gain, and an overdrive. Had basic controls, bass, mid, treble, a gain, master volume, and effects. This amp was only for bedroom and dormroom practice. It had a line-in jack, and two channels to save your settings on.

xHellbound
    I love this amp. The tone settings are great for the price: clean, jazz, and 6 types of distortion. And 11 different effects without buying 1 pedal. And I only paid $20 for my switch, I don't know why the first person said $50.
    G-loony
    gibsonplyr202 : i think teh n00b who wrote teh second one doesn't even play guitar
    Actually he's pretty right, I got this amp myself now for over 2 years. And the clean sounds amazing but the distortian of this thing sucks. Solution: BOSS DS-2 pedal
    colemanaxcx
    This amps great, I've had it for two years and it's good as new. Sounds great, though I'm comparing it to a Peavey VYPYR so, make what you want out of that.
    GrantMcDocherty
    Mines suddenly stopped working, opened it up and the power cable was all bubbled and melted, since this was now a fire hazard I had to do the responsible thing... Squeeze the wire back together and play on
    jay.vinton.9
    I've had one for 5 yrs. Not an ounce of issue with it. I'm an older guy that's been playing decades, have the requisite tube amp, but for living room practice or taking it out on the lanai.. it's perfect and the neighbors don't complain. Distortion??, I don't even use it, just clean one and maybe two, and blues 3 and that's about it. It works, it's cheap, if it breaks, in the dumpster it goes and I get another one for 105 bucks.. Who am I to complain.