DA5 review by Vox

Vox: DA5

Purchased from: PMT

I use a telecaster with double Fender pick ups. I like the amp as it can produce a range of different styles from sweet clean to dirty distortion. I only use the amp in my room so the 5watts is just fine, most of the time I take up the option to use the amp as a 1.5W amp. At high volumes the sound produced is just as good as low volumes. However, personally I find the clean channel is to bass filled and lacking treble.

For rock, indie, and a mix of everything else this amp sound brilliant. For the 7 years I've been playing this has been my favourite amp - by far. Before buying the amp I was looking at my friends Roland Micro Cube amp but I'm glad I bought this as it sounds - and looks, so much better. I would definitely buy the amp again if it got lost or broke. I wish it gave me the choice of altering the bass, treble and middle volumes but apart from that it's great.

I've had the amp a couple of years and it the quality of it is just as good now as when I got. However 2 years is nothing. The amp isn't difficult to maintain. It just needs a wipe every now and again. I have don't use the amp for a gig as it lacks the volume to fill a room and I prefer the fresh sound of an amp rather than one through a mic. Saying this I take the amp to all of my gigs as backup to my Fender frontman and I'm fairly positive it would perform if needed. The amp came ready to play from the box, (without the inclusion of a battery)

Great choice of effects and the choice to use battery powered. A choice I've never taken up but could come in handy. I can play any style of music with the amp and is great for my favourite style - indie. For me the only downfall is that you can't manually change the bass, treble and middle levels of the amp to change it's built in styles to your taste. The built in effects are as good as I've heard in an amp with although I've never really used the auto-wah due to my personal preference.