Lil' Night Train review by Vox

Vox: Lil' Night Train

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: 2nd hand

Nowadays these amps aren't available in the shops anymore (Not in my country). So i bought it on the internet from a guy nearby. It was still in mint condition and the orgininal package was included together with the vox dust cloth. The set looks really classy, and will fit in any room of the house.

The specs are:

• Power: 2W RMS bij 16 Ohm en 1,5W bij 8 Ohm
  • Tubes: 2x 12ax7, 1x 12AU7
  • EQ: Gain, Treble, Bass en Volume
  • Switch: Bright / Thick schakelaar
  • Input: 1/4" jack
  • Speaker outpur: 1x 8 / 16 Ohm
  • Guitar jack: 1/8" stereo jack
  • dimentions: 222 x 117 x 117 mm (BxDxH)
  • Weight: 2,2 kg
The reason I bought this amp, was because I couldn't always use my main amp (Engl) due to the high volume of 20 watts and also the Engl's lack of vintage tones. It also has a surprising lot of headroom. The features are very basic. Without any reverb or delay, this amp sounds cheap and dull. But with a pedal in front of it, you'll get your satisfaction. This amp does have a Bass EQ, but not a Mid. This is a bit odd to me, because the cab itself doesn't really have a lot of bass. So the knob doesn't do really that much. And I miss the mid option, would be more of an advantage on this amp.

I play almost every genre, but mostly rock and blues. The Vox has a vintage sound and suits these genres quite well. As mentioned before, the sound is not that good without some delay or reverb, so a pedal is a must with little amp. On the internet you'll read a lot of complaints about the 110 cab that comes with it. But honestly I really like it. The cab gives this Vox it's characteristics, so I never bothered to buy a bigger one.

If you turn up the gain above about 8, you'll notice that the sound becomes a bit muddy. Although many people may dislike that, I do use it quite a lot. Especially when combining it with some other pedals. It'll give some pretty nice effects in my opinion. This amp really has it's own character, and I personally like it!

When using the bridge pick-up on my strat, the sound becomes very, very sharp. Ear bleeding. I rarely use the knobs on my guitar, but for this amp, I'm making an exception.

The amp is not loud enough to gig with, it's is a simple and plain home practice amp. Don't let this fool you though, it will be loud enough at home and may be wakening your neighbours at night when turned up! The amp does take all kinds of pedals really well, give it a try, you'll be amazed!

When you don't have a lot of things going on in an amp, there's also less chance of anything going wrong or breaking anything. I'm being really careful with my stuff, so rarely anything breaks. But besides that, this amp seems to be made to sustain a lifetime. The metal chassis is sturdy and will protect the tubes. The cab is plain and simple, and will also be able to take a little beating. But do be careful though, a scratch on the cloth or the cab itself is easy to make. Keep Sharp things away!

Overall, a good amp for the money. Plain and simple amp. There aren't really any better tube amps out there for this amount of cash. You will need pedal(s) though to make it sound really nice. Do wish it had a mid EQ knob though, it would make the amp a lot more versatile. There is no carry bag included, if you want to take it for a gig with friends, you may want to buy one. The sound is really vintage, and has to be your cup of tea. Personal taste will decide if you like it, especially when you crank up the gain. I've owned it for about a year now and will probably never part with it. It won't be my #1 amp though, its not versatile enough. You could call it a nice little gadget!