Night Train review by Vox

Vox: Night Train

Purchased from: guitar center

My guitarsenal includes a Fender Strat American Deluxe HSS, BC Rich Bich N.J. Classic, Kramer Striker Custom ala Guitargeant, Fender DuoSonic also I play through a Marshall DSL100? 412 cab. I have it pushing a Traynor 212 cab with Celestion 70/80's. I bought this because I am a Slash fan and I can get his tone out of this amp, can you say feeling lika spacebrain? I can also get everything from the Beatles to Soundgarden from my brave little toaster. The blues tone is luscious and very responsive to various pick attacks. Now let's talk awitches, in bright mode it is virtually identical to the AC-15 with it's jangly chime and nice breakup in higher gain/ volume situations. Flip to thick it bypasses the tone controls and you get from growl to a modern Vox distortion. I say Vox because that is what the tone is think Spoonman fron Soundgarden. The pentode/ triode switch changes power level from 15 watts to 7.5 watts and the tonal voice changes a bit with this Switch knocking off some of the highend @ the 7.5 watt setting. If you are looking for Vox tone that come through from bedroom levels to club gig this amp will do it. I hooked up to a 112, 212, and a 412 cab the 212 is best suited however it will push the 412 hard enough to be heard over the average drummer.

The debate of Tiny Terror vs. Night Train is reolved! Night Train's Voice is way more versatile and toneful especially at clean levels.It is also so simple to dial in whatever tone you are seeking. From clean classic Vox tone to funk to blues(lead tones are soooo luscious) to alternative, (think from U2 to Soundgarden) to rock (from AC/DC to Van Halen) this is your amp. If you are a seeking Mesa metal mid scoop tone this is not the amphead for you, however you could put your favorite metal pedal to it for it takes pedals well even minus the effect loop. I bought it because I wanted to add a Vox vibe to my guitarsenal and was and still impressed to how this head responds to pick attack. I love the portability, if you Jam on the go or want to kick it on the back porch on a fine spring evening this is you ticket. Hey it also just looks coolv Tiny Terror owners time to go to the pawnshop and get some real tone. I would replace it if it got stolen, after shoooting the thief.

Just got it a month ago, it still works and I can't submit unless there are so many characters.

Hot off the assembly line in 09 the Vox Night Train also know as the brave little toaster. I play all rock, blues, heavy metal, and anything in between and it delivers. This amp is technically a standard 1 channel amp with two wattage settings (7.5 & 15) bass, mid, treble, gain and volume knobs, and a bright/ thick switch (aka. steroid Switch). It is minus an effects loop, I play with raw tone so that doesn't matter to me. No headphone jack (this is not a practice amp boys and girls). It has no reverb however once you get a slice of that jangly Vox tone you will wonder if you need it. Power wise it has 2 EL-84's that break up nicely when juiced and will kick the air at your Shins when you get past 12 o'clock on the volume knob no matter the gain setting.

busted_hater
    jannick wrote: Funny how most of the artists you mention are guys that would NEVER even go near a VOX... For an example take Slash. All marshall and pedals. where VOX usually stuffs their effects till the amp cant take no more. Or AC/DC. All marshall. no effects or anything. just seems odd how Vox wich is more a fender sound can sound like the great gibson/marshall gods... But i havent tried it so i ofvourse stand correct if so. By the way. I agree with the other guys on features. should be 4 og 5. Especially considering its a Vox. The king of built in effects and other useless crap. And i gotta disagree on reliability... All places i have been that had Vox's(clubs, schools, etc.) only had their vox for a year before it started to suck in sound and mix up channel settings. nice... grammer? though
    some more to point out. Artists: Brian May Dave Grohl Beatles U2 Pink Floyd Rolling Stones Yard Birds The Kinks Radiohead Jimmy Eat World Slipknot The Eagles Queens of the Stone Age MANY MANY MORE! DONT TALK TRASH!
    Seref
    ProgFolk12
    1) Vox the king of built in effects? They are rather famous for amps oother than the valvetronix lol 2) Vox is more a fender sound? what? Vox's sound like vox's. They are British voiced, not at all fenderish. 3) Unreliable? I know many people with AC30's twice my age still working perfectly, and all my friend's modern voxes have been much more reliable than my roland. 4) Grammar. Use some...
    XeroDivide
    Wow dude, just wow... I thought I've seen senile, but you take the cake.
    XeroDivide
    jannick wrote: They say Vox can capture his sound but slash has NEVER uses VOX. he only experimented with the Vox and fender sounds on the first velvet revolver album. And Slash DOES use Wah AND delay. (listen to the intro on welcome to the jungle. and thats a guns n roses song just so you know)... idiot... And busted_hater. sorry for not bringing up all your favorite artists. i was just pointing out the ones he wrote that i knew only used Marshall. and progfolk. thats just a reference to MY experince with the VOX. they just never seem to last as long as and old marshall, fender or gibson amp. and i just said he had a nice grammar because i would never write that good. for one im not that good and besides english is not my mother-language. So to all you sad sad people throwing shit at me: way to go. proving that all it takes for you to suck-up to a review, is for it to be one of your own brands. At least i dont give a crap what you say about my brands. and at last. to half of you guys talking slah: just invite me to a chatroom. appearantly you guys know NOTHING of Saul Hudson. too bad...
    My point was you're trashing these products like they're pieces of crap, who's the real idiot here? You got a problem with hardwired equipment? The king of built in effects and other useless crap? Obviously you're a purist of stupidity and narrow-minded when it comes to experimentation in sound. You go on later to say Slash uses wah and delay, but you bash the fact these devices supply effects? Where's your mind kid, senile... You're utterly senile @guitargeant - Love me some spoonman sound by the way!
    The_Marshall_Gu
    Jannick, just cut your losses and bow out gracefully. You made some infantile and asinine remarks earlier; man up to it and quit trying to cover your ass. You are honestly just making yourself look like even more of a jack ass. Just a little friendly advice
    guitarNbass
    Seref wrote: I like how "does metal" now appears to be a requirement for it to be a good amp, according to some people.
    Amen... I think metal amps sound like shit, actually. Go out and find an amp with a good clean. Then buy a distortion pedal.
    Led Hed Lefty
    why cant we all just agree that this is a freaking awesome amp that lacks a couple features and just leave it at that.....if the reviews were meant for heated debates on who uses what gear it would be called...oh wait...a forum perhaps?
    jannick
    please tell me on wich album i used vox. because all i havde heard was that he used on velvet revolver and i havde already said that
    SeanX3187
    ProgFolk12 wrote: So does anyone want to say anything about the amp again? I liked it, quite a bit, but I think there's too much competition at that price range for it to really catch on
    i'll agree with that a bit. but there aren't very many good choices in that price range. granted, there are some nice ones (blackheart 15w head [that's a controversial company being run by crate, but i like them] and the marshall haze 15 isn't much more) but to me, those are the only good choices other than the vox (for low priced, low wattage amps).
    SeanX3187
    jannick wrote: I agree. its cheeper and sometimes easier. but i just feel like if i buy an amp with built in effects im stuck with it. and you cant really upgrade built in effects like you can buy better and better quality pedals. so if i am to blow a lot of money on an amp i would rather have one with no effects.
    absolutely
    busted_hater
    jannick wrote: thats what i said????
    No you started talking about velvet revolver again! read the total guitar article
    XeroDivide
    SeanX3187 wrote: I've never been the biggest fan of built in effects. I understand that they're very helpful and can sound cool, but individual pedals give you much more control over your effects and usually have several different options. But for someone who doesn't have 16 trillion dollars to spend on individual effects pedals, multi-effect pedals are sometimes a good investment (Boss ME-70 for example) but i've found that usuaing different effects at once gets trickey and not fun for shows. But built in effects are great until you can afford to get a pedal here and there. I probably wouldn't use them live/in the studio though. Except for reverb that is, I'd never need a reverb pedal.
    SeanX3187
    XeroDivide wrote: SeanX3187 wrote: True I've always been a fan of the individual pedals as opposed to the ME-boards, on the other hand I'd cop a boss GT any day of the week. I think things like built in tremolo with an on/off pedal for the amp produce sounds way better than most tremolo pedals you come across on the market (not all but most).
    i only like the ME-boards because that's how i would design a multi-effect board. a few basic kinds of pedals, with different options for each one, almost like having separate stomp boxes. and i'll agree that most built in tremolo effects do sound good in some cases (line 6 excluded IMO) and if you find an amp with built in tremolo, it can be equal to or better than most trem pedals (like reverb to me, i think built in reverb is simpler and better sounding [if it's spring reverb] than what you can get out of a pedal)
    busted_hater
    jannick wrote: well im making the statement that youre wrong busted hater. all i have ever read was that he used vox only by the time he was in velvet. and ofcause still is.
    It isnt me saying your wrong, it is Slashs Tech guy and Total Guitar Magazine Europes biggest selling guitar magazine. But if your really that stubben, no, thick! then ok, i guess in your mind you are right!
    aporc
    XeroDivide
    jannick wrote: i stand by my opinions. quit reading them if you got a problem with them. i will agree with you that i may sound narrowminded but thats just the way i see things. and im just putting it out there unwrapped. and yes i applaude effects and people who are good at using them. but im not a fan of built in-effects.
    Built in effects are great! Built in Tremolo especially, throw some reverb on that sucker too and you're ready to rock the F-out!!
    SeanX3187
    aporc wrote: Guys the night train isn't voiced like a Ac30 to me. Its more crunch sounding IMO. Its a cool little amp. It actually has quite a few features! I haven't played the fender but the NT can get a good slash "dirty" tone on the thick mode. The Haze is overpriced.
    all marshall's are overpriced haha. but that's because they're made in the UK so the exporting costs affects how much we pay here (assuming you're from the US, you may not be). i'm a big fan of marshalls though, i'd just only buy them used because i can't afford new stuff.
    jannick
    yeah but entering a forum is like admitting that youre bored and has nothing else to do...
    MegaEgga
    SeanX3187
    MegaEgga wrote: I'll have a review up for this amp just as soon as I get my matching cabinet, seems as though people are a little annoyed at the current review for giving it too high marks, so I'll try and be fair
    awesome. i'm not taking the current one very seriously because they joined just to post this review.
    livewire76
    I've tried this for 5 minutes vs. Tiny Terror the other day at my local store and i'd pick the T.T. every time. Maybe 'cause it seems to suit metal - to my ears at least - better then the Night Train. Until i have the $$$ to buy a small valve amp for practice im stuck with solid state so if youre in the market for a new practice amp by all means give the NT a go but try the Tiny Terror and Marshall Haze as well!
    ProgFolk12
    I actully prefered the NT to the TT when I played them, I just loved the extra versatility, and the cleans were much better. But there are a lot of rivals in that price range, Hayden Mofo, Blachearts, 18 watt clones etc...
    xXMetal-HeadXx
    i wouldnt buy this, a TT or anything else similar for metal. its just not voiced for it. and i OWN a TT, but only use it for bluesy, classic rock stuff. it turns to mush if you try to play metal. OD or no OD, its still mush.
    SeanX3187
    i agree. i've found that low wattage amps don't sound very good for metal or other very high gain sounds. but the night train is a great amp. i'd definitely get it for practice. and as for the tiny terror, i'm not a fan even though i love orange. i've heard the new Dual Terror (i think) is a good amp though.
    livewire76
    Hold on a second! The T.T is no good for metal tones when practicing at home? I dont know what metal you play but it must be at the more extreme end because i got fine crunch out of the T.T. Cleans i wouldn't know about as i didn't have much time. Seems im being out-voted in anycase so each to their own. Still, i liked the T.T. more then N.T.
    The^Unforgiven
    *Sigh* Once again, why on earth a 10 on features? For God's sake, one channel with two modes, eq, gain & master volume, no fx loop or even reverb? Hardly a 10 in my book as it's pretty primitive. Don't mean to say that it's a bad amp, it's just that to get 10 in features it'll either have to have some really innovate new features or an exceptional value-for-money -ratio.
    Seref
    Anyone know how this thing responds to pedals? Been in the market for a small tube amp and I've been floating around Blackstar/Blackheart/Vox/Fender stuff. The amp's tone is important to me, but most of the versatility is gonna come from how well it will take input from a pedal.
    jean_genie
    Even if you rated it's features against similar amps, the best if should rank is 'slightly above average'. It's got more knobs that the Tiny Terror, less than Blackheart. Seems like a 6/10 to me. Maybe even a 7, max. I think it's funny how people say 'it doesn't do metal', or 'metal sounds great' with certain amps, with absolutely no reference points. My Tiny Terror does metal perfectly ... but to me, 'metal' means Black Sabbath. I wouldn't say it does speed metal or death metal well. Haven't used it yet, but my experience with Vox is that like Fender, they always sound too bright to my ears unless I'm playing them totally clean with a jazz guitar. Personal preference. That said, the Night Train is without a doubt the best-looking new 'boutique' head.
    blackborrego
    Wow, these low wattage amps are taking the market completely, whatever the hell sounds good to your ears is ok, maybe you can't get some good metal tones out of the NT but if you like how it sounds, well stick to it.
    eyebanez333
    Great amps...definitely sound better than the tiny terrors. Not muddy in the slightest. I agree with a couple posts above...this amp can do some metal...like Sabbath. But its going to fall well short of modern metal tones....well short. Takes pedals really well though...especially EQ and boost. Only downfall of this amp imo...is the lack of a loop. Other than that...I love it. Worth every penny.
    GODhimself37
    Vikingx wrote: Seems a bit fishy. The poster is new this month... has never posted in a thread... and only has this review to his credit. I hate reviews that give mostly 10's. I understand that you're happy with your gear, but nothing deserves a 10 unless it can walk on water.
    Agreed. With no reverb, effects loops, 1 channel, and many other features left out, it should only be getting a 7 or 8
    busted_hater
    jannick wrote: the dude said they experimented with a lot of sounds on the velvet revolver album. like a vox for the acoustic-rythm sections. i already told you that nipplehead
    READ THE ARTICLE DAMN IT! His clean rhythm sound was from vox! they also used vox in his main rhythm sound to add sonic variation. Just admit defeat lol!
    wolvenrick
    not really helpfull i was really looking for a tube amp to get but nobody rates it objectively they all rate as a god. noneless i'd have to save up for a couple of days at the store to try em out then.
    busted_hater
    haha mate slash has used vox for his clean sounds on records. Just because he uses Marshall on stage doesn't mean he doesn't use other gear in the studio. You might wanna look futher than a few websites to research him. They weren't my favourite artists at all, but shows you just a few of thousands that people use vox. and what!?!? vox dont last as long as old marshall. well maybe news ones, but there are just as many old vox amps as there is old marshall amps. What is your experience with an old vox and old marshall? i can't see it being very much as you have given very narrow minded and infantile replies.
    ProgFolk12
    Thanks for clearing that up. I still think that calling vox "the king of useless crap" is going a long way too far! And the NT is actually a bit less AC30 sounding than you'd expect, though I agree it's still hardly marshally. I wont say anything about Slash's sound though, I'll leave you lot to argue about that.