Night Train review by Vox

Vox: Night Train

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I use this amp with my strat, tele, and Acoustic guitars. Suits my needs for my current project just fine. With the gain dimed, it gain get pretty noisy, especially if your guitar has single coils. The amp can get those classic Vox chimey cleans, and some decent overdrive...enough for rock. Even some metal tones with the right boost...but its definitely not a metal amp. On the 15 watt setting, the amp stays clean over a drummer with no problem.

Perfect for any style of music that needs a great clean tone...to a nice warm overdrive. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now, bass for over 10. I was in the market for a small tube amp, and tried/owned many amps before the Night Train (including the Valve Junior, Blackheart, Tiny Terror, etc.) I fell in love with this amp as soon as I played it. A few things I wish it had: a second channel, an effects loop, and reverb...but with an amp this small, its tough to get all those features while keeping the micro tube amp style intact.

The amp is very durable. Weighing in at 17 pounds...this little toaster can definitely take the heat. I would definitely gig without a backup. Never had any problems with the amp. The factory tubes are still going strong and sounding great. The amp also comes with a padded carrying case from the factory.

The amp was made in 2009. I bought this amp for a little country, blues, southern rock side project I was invited to join and it fits perfectly. Its an all tube, single channel amp with no headphone jack. It does have a bright/thick Switch that will bypass the EQ on thick mode and gives a nice overdrive tone...but thats as close as it gets to having two channels. Also has a pentode/triode mode to Switch between 15 and 7.5 watts. I use this amp at practice un-mic'd and it gets over the drummer fine. Anytime that I've gigged with it, I mic it...going through either a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet.

Westy_metallica
    Im considering buying the Night Train. Im looking to achieve rock sounds such as AC/DC to Guns n' Roses, but have the versitality to play Metallica and Megadeth too. Would I need to buy a Distortion pedal or a Tube Screamer to give it that extra boost on clean or would the gain on the amp itself be enough to play quite high gain sounds. A response asap would be very nice. Thankss
    guitargeant
    Westy metallica this amp takes drive and distortion pedals very well! If you want that mesa tone you have to use a pedal. I have a vox satchurator pedal that with gain all the way up on the pedal and gain at about ten o'clock on the amp in bright mode and the bass and treble up and the mid all the way down on the eq i can enter sandman in hangar 18 all day long! sounds great!
    Westy_metallica
    Hahah thanks guitargeant, I played it at a local guitar store and fell in love. I bought one off eBay a week and a bit ago. Yesterday I went and played it again with a tube overdrive pedal. It sounded so good! Did megadeth very well Just waiting for it to get here... The Australia post is on strike at the moment so everything is delayed
    Westy_metallica
    Haha thanks for the offer mate but mine just came in the post this arvo. I think I'll still come over to texas though, haha. I've got it running through a Marshall 4X12... and its so juicy! I think im in love!
    roboteer67
    I have a nighttrain. I play through a 2 x 12" celestion vintage cab live & practice with a bashed up home modifed celistion 1 x 10" vintage loaded single cab, that used to be a Kustom p.a. top. The tone available to me without effects is great, it allows the individual identity of each guitar & pickup combination to be heard. The thick setting with an EMG loaded gibson les paul is exactly what I've been looking for, the cleans with less powerful pickups are pretty sweet. Vox say that greenbacks suit this amp best, I can't say having only heard on you tube, but if you're after a convenient litte, easy to carry head then the NT has to be given a good workout before being overlooked.
    drying out
    i have a night train alongside 1x12 vox heritage with a blue alnico speaker. incredible combo. so much blues and soul. doesnt get any warmer than this.