Pathfinder 10 review by Vox

Vox: Pathfinder 10

Price paid: A$ 100

Purchased from: Guitar Centre at the Gabba

I use a Strat, Tele and a Les Paul with this amp, but I only use it late at night when I want to practice out loud, as my other amplifier (Peavey Bandit 112) is simply too loud even at highly reduced volumes, particularly on the distortion channel. My music style is mainly blues and rock (mainly classic rock, Stones, Zeppelin, Who etc) as well as prog rock such as Pink Floyd (favourite band of all time). It suits these styles relatively well, but it is a practice amp after all so you can't be too critical. The distortion channel is a bit noisy at high levels of gain, but is relatively quiet for the most part. The amp makes mostly classic-rock, overdriven sounds on the distortion channel and jangly cleans. Due to the limited controls the sound is limited, but you do have control over the general sound you get out of it, especially when coupled with a guitar's tone controls. The amp seems quite trebly though, even when the treble control is backed up all the way to 0. One cool feature that this amp has which gives it a somewhat tube vibe is that when you push the gain all the way up and pull the volume down on the clean channel the sound is just slightly distorted, giving a nice rythym crunch. Overall the sounds aren't anything spectacular, but are good for an amp of such a low price. Taking into account that this is a practice amp I do believe it sounds quite good.

As I mentioned I mainly play blues/classic rock/prog rock and this amp suits them very well considering the price. I have been playing for 5 years and own a Tele, Strat, Les Paul (all genuine) and a Cort MR Custom and Kustom KAA16 acoustic amp, Peavey Bandit 112 and a DigiTech RP250. I tested the amp out before buying it and tested it against various other practice amps in the same class. I tested it against a Marshall, Peavey and a Laney and found this amp to have the most appealing distortion and clean channel. If it were lost or stolen I would certainly buy it again, as it is the cheapest and best practice amp in it's class. I love it's price and nice sounds but I wish it had more features and didn't lean so much towards cutting trebly sounds when treble is not wanted. Simply the best 10-watt solid state practice amp there is.

I would not use this amp at a gig, unless I was playing in a very, very small venue with no drummer, and even then I'd have reservations. You have to take into account the intended use of this amp, though, it is simply not powerful enough to fill a reasonably sized room as well as having restricted sounds. It is not designed as a gigging amp. In terms of build quality it is surprisingly strong. I put a fair bit of my weight onto it the other day and the cabinet didn't budge. It has never broken down, but I have only had it for about 2 months and do not use it regularly.

This amplifier was built in 2008 in Vietnam. It has very basic controls, gain, volume, bass, treble, as well as an input and headphone/line out port as well as a channel selector. It comes with two channels, which are clean and overdrive. Obviously this amp is quite basic, with a 10-watt output is obviously built as a practice amp. Seeing as the controls are so limited you really need to use all the controls to get the sound you want. It is solid state, as are most practice amps, but does have some quite realistic sounding tube characteristics. This amp was only $100 Australian which is very cheap, so I was not at all concerned about the lack of some controls which some people would like even in a practice amp. Although I do kind of wish it had a 'mid' control. This is a practice amp, so you don't expect the features to be anything spectacular at all, but they are quite good considering the price.

The_Teleblaster
    vox pathfinder 10 vs laney lx12? you opinion sirs?
    I tried both and I would probably go with the Vox. But it does come down to your playing styles and intended use.