Pathfinder 10 review by Vox

Vox: Pathfinder 10

Purchased from: Gear4music

I'm used my only 2 guitars through this amp (epiphone sg special and my love iabnez rgr321ex) of the bat the clean is amazing as its sounds very warm and clear, overdrive on the second sounds is what lets this amp down as its sounds way to messy and fuzzy (espically with the gain up)its also pretty much very noisey. Though the over Drive is good strumming goods and a bit of led zepplin or deep purple etc. If your going to use distortion with this amp I recommend a pedal (I perfer analog rather then digital so you can get better sounds), I used a DigiTech Grunge pedal though the mixer output on the clean and it automatically sounded great for more mordern/heavier stuff that the in build distortion would do terribly and yes this amp is very pedal friendly. Secondly this amp doesnt't distort at high volumes on the clean but suing distortion pedals and stuff cranking the volume makes its sounds horrible and this amp doesnt't cut through either. All though I said a bit of bad stuff about this amp but overall I'll admit its pretty surburb for a PRACTICE amp and to finish of this section for all you tube lovers the gain on clean increases the volume and makes it sound kidna better-ish which iss similar to valve amps.

Overall this is a pretty good amp but like me you can find better I have recently switched to a Kustom Dart 10FX which has a very similar clean and a better overdrive channel along with better features (reverd, speak outs etc). But over all this amp will serve you when it comes to praticing and jamming with another guitarist (this amp wouldnet hold up against a drummer). So its a 7/10.

I've taken this amp on vacation a few times and its had a few falls here and there and spends its time stuffed in a corner but this amp is build like a brick and works fine and none of the of the control pots hasn't fallen of and the jacks are still tight as ever. I'm sure it'll last a good 20 years intill the transistors start to burn out.

I don't know about when this amp was made but I think Vox says it came out in around 2003. Its solid state praciceamp and it looks AMAZING it holds 2 channels (the obvious clean & overdrive) with a treble, bass and gain controls and of cause a volume control, to be fair I would love a mid control on this amp. It has a 6.5 inch Vox bulldog speaker which can be muted by using the headphone/direct out input so you can record on a mixing board or use head phones so you don't deturb your neighbours. Acceptable features for a 50 pound pratice amp but there is more features you cna get on an amp like this (eg. Kustom Dart 10FX, Line 6 micro spider). So this gets a 7.5 (round that up, that's 8! )

m0y86
    Hi there, I know Vox is not often used on Metal but how about using this amp with a Metal Muff or something like that?? Obviously for home use but playing metal songs??? I mean for metal: GnR, Metallica and beyond.
    rv_phoenix
    I guess Moroten has captured the two most important features of this amp: 1) it's the best 10W practice amp you could get nowadays, and 2) despite being a solid state, it still emulates pretty well the tonal range of a tube amp. Only Vox can do that! Of course, you can always pay 2000 euros for a HiWatt or an Engl of the same output, if you wish, but in my opinion it would be a nonsense: why would you spend so much money on an amp which will never go on stage? The Pathfinder 10 is not quite a beginner's amp, though. It takes time and one need some experience in order to get the most of its basic controls.