Pathfinder 15R review by Vox

Vox: Pathfinder 15R

Purchased from: guitar center

I paly an Epiphone LP and a Strat (Fender) and I use a Tubescreamer with it. I use this Vox amp when I have my classic rock, Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds, rockabilly and pure country moods, which are frequent. I have had Vox amps for a long time and they are all very quiet, haven't seen an exception. The clean channel is very clean and you can set it for bright and twangy for country or warm for soft rock type stuff. Turn the gain up without the boost switch and you get a very nice "crunch" similar to The Stones, Steve Earle and Springsteen. It has a very good variety of sounds, unless in my opinion you are trying to get that heavy metal sound. You can get it on this amp, but you will need a pedal for it. Sometimes a pedal is a hassle though and personally I like the boost sound distortion of this amp, reminds me of the old "Who" stuff. For metal, if that is solely what you are into, go for the Marshall. The clean channel does not distort, even at full volume unless you crank the gain up. The distortion is Vintage distortion. Cream, Hendrix, even Zeppelin stuff you can do fine with it. Don't expect Metallica, Iron Maiden or Sabbath from this amp. Great amp for Queen, Brian May stuff, especially on a strat or telecaster. This is an awesome little amp and the sound is pure classic Vox. I can't really tell the difference between it and my AC30 except of course for volume.

I have the gear I mentioned above, plus a bunch of acoustics. I would get another one if it were lost or stolen, but that ain't likely. I ain't gonna lose it, and I have two rotweillers that love to eat people. I compared this to all the other amps in it's price range. Crates, Fenders and Peaveys are no match for it in a 15 watter. The Marshall MG15RCD is equal. I chose this one because between it and the Marshall I can get any sound I want.

It is built like a tank. Have had many Vox amps and never had one break down on me. It isn't what I use to gig with but for practice, this amp will suit most everyone's needs. Nothing to change, burn out or break as it is solid state. I've played the shit out of this for over six months and it still kicks ass and it has been knocked about a bit too.

It has everything you could possibly need in a practice/small gig amp, without any of the useless digital fx gee-gaws that still seem to be prevalent in this price range. I still wish that the footswitch was included, but they're easily had for $25 or so. One feature I've come to realize more fully with time is just how amazingly well voiced the tone knobs are. They are very interactive with each other, making a 2 knob EQ very versatile.

eskycorp
    It'll pump out whatever style you throw at it (except country).
    We all know how much torture country music can be on amps.