Pathfinder 15R review by Vox

Vox: Pathfinder 15R

Purchased from: second hand

I use a Cort S2600 electric with it. The guitar has 3 rail pickups wired with a coil split. This amp really is quite versatile, clean sounds very warm, deep and 3 dimensional. Slight overdrive is very Hendrix-like and then it goes from SRV to Bloc Party/Interpol and then to almost Muse-like fuzz sounds. This amp's great for blues, Indie, clean guitar styles, grunge, garage rock and so on. No metal on this one without a pedal. It really is quite versatile, clean sounds very warm, deep and 3 dimensional of very funky, sharp and thight. Slighty overdriven it's very Hendrix-like and then it goes from SRV to Bloc Party/Interpol and then to almost Muse-like fuzz sounds. This amp's great for blues, Indie, clean guitar styles, grunge, garage rock and so on. No metal on this one without a pedal.

I play a whole lot of styles, from blues, funk and garage all the way to metal and some shred (John5). I've been playing for about 2 years now and don't own much more than this amp, my electric guitar and a steelstring acoustic. I wouldn't buy this again because I need something bigger right now. What I love the most about this amp is it's responsiveness, using only my guitar's volume knob I can already get a lot of different sounds. It also respond well to picking dynamics. All in all I find this to be one of the best cheap practice combos because it sounds a lot better than most of it's rivals.

It never really turned me down but the input jack broke once and I had to have it replaced. Was quite a hassle to get the right input though, I eventually just took a Marshall input and 'modified' it to fit the Vox. I would use this in a gig but when miked I'm sure it'll work just fine. I just wouldn't use it because for gigging I prefer a 2 channel amp for more effective rythm/lead switching.

This is an older model Pathfinder, it has no reverb and on the back there only is a headphones out. The other features are the same as in the other reviews so I won't name them here again. Since it has few features there's nothing on it I don't use. You gotta learn how to work it to get a good sound though, but once you've got it it's very easy to even create a sound on the guess, without plugging in your guitar. It's also f'in loud, I could still hear myself when playin in the bedroom with 2 other guitarists, a bass player and a drummer. I'm upgrading to a 40-50 watts tube amp for Live playing though, but for bedroom practice this amp's perfect.

wildyoda2
    I can only guess that the Guitar Center where you bought your three amps got a lousy batch. This is generally a GREAT small amp. I have 30 years of playing experience. I can only say I wish I had bought one sooner. I have owned a Peavey Backstage Plus, a Fender RockPro 1000 half stack, a Danelectro Nifty Fifty, an Acoustic G20, an Electar Tube 30, a Pignose, and a mini-Marshall. I prefer this amp to ALL of them. I have also owned a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, an Acoustic 150, and an Ampeg Gemini and although I don't prefer the Vox over these it is quite comparable and more quiet than the Fender and the Ampeg. Sorry you got three bum deals but don't knock the product and all amps from China. Your experience is not representative.
    Jk3y
    I own it, its awesome, not so much for live gigs but just practising or jamming with friends...that's what it was made for, this amp takes a while to get a good tone out of it, but sounds great on my epi LP, I didn't need FX because pedals are more convinient and FX just add to the price, don't see how you got a chorus tone though, I also would've liked a lids knob...apart from that, awesome amp, much louder than expected from a 15W
    guitar789lover
    is the distortaion any good? for like hard rock like ac/dc, kiss, that real hard rock distortaion sound
    krnkink7
    hey guys i have a question..i got one of these amps yesterday and i'm getting lota small feedbacks that get annyoing..and also is it just me or if u put an Bad monkey in front of it then it sounds terrible? i read many great reviews about this amp but it sounds terrible in overdrive. but cleans = excellent.
    Hiker
    Bought the Pathfinder 15 used without the reverb. Not using it beyond 5-6 on volume & gain. Very satisfied with it as a home, practice amp for Tele and Strat. Some guys are buying two of these amps to play on-stage-that's my plan for some-future gigs.
    jonnyg2
    I bought one of these for home use and I think it's great for the money. Having said that the first one I tried in the store was faulty so I guess it's try before you buy. The built in tremolo is a nice touch but I've heard better spring reverbs. Lack of other FX is no problem as I already have various pedals which sound better than most built in FX anyway.