Valvetronix VT100 review by Vox

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 9
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reliability & Durability: 9
  • Features: 7
  • Reviewer's score: 8.5 Superb
  • Users' score: 9.2 (34 votes)
Vox: Valvetronix VT100
3

Price paid: A$ 910

Purchased from: Ellaways Music

Sound — 9
My main style of music are pop, country and rock. I have tried this amp with all of my guitars now and am very pleased with the amazing range of tones it can produce. Let me start by saying, if you want that classic valve tone - buy a valve amp it's that simple. But if you can accept a 90% valve like tone for a fraction of the cost, this is the amp for you. The amp has a power control on the back which is the same as a power sponge which is great for playing at home when the baby's sleeping, but it's when you crank this amp up that it really sings. I've played all tube Marshalls for the last 15 years and this amp is pretty damn close to that rich valve sound we all love. So wind it up, play with the settings and you will easily find YOUR sound. The clean models are also pretty close to that gorgeous chimey bell sound you get from true valve amps. A great bonus is that they didn't clip or distort at louder volumes too. One of my pet hates. The effects are also good quality. We're not talking rack effects processor standard, but more than usefull and adjustable. I know it's not a valve amp, but for a fraction of the cost of an all valve amp, you get a pretty damn good "valve like" tone with a bucketfull of extras to help you find your dream tone.

Overall Impression — 9
For me this is the perfect compromise. The VT100 gives me a more than acceptable valve like tone and heaps of other benefits, for a fraction of the cost of an all valve 2x12 combo. My band days are over now and I don't gig regulary any more, but still want a decent amp for recording and the occassional gig with mates and this fits the bill perfectly. The only things I would need to add to this amp for use in a gigging situation would be a volume/wah pedal and a tuner. Given how many amps there are out there now with these built in, I think if Vox had added those features the VT100 would be the ducks nuts in 2x12 combos. For all the other bonuses that come with it, I can Live with it being a valve hybrid. I would easily recommend this amp and would definitely replace it. Bottom line - It's not all valve, but it's pretty bl**dy close.

Reliability & Durability — 9
Apart from my initial concerns with the faulty AD100VT-XL model, I get the impression that the Valvetronix range are soldily built amps. Having spent years of lugging amps, cabs and speaker bins up endless back stairs and loading them into the backs of vans, a good yard stick for me of the quality of something is it's weight. For me, with amps, light in weight = light on quality. The VT100 is heavy enough to be annoying to carry, so it looks like there's some quality there - time will tell.

Features — 7
You can check the Vox website for the full specs on the VT100. In short 100W 2x12 valve hybrid modelling amp with on board effects. I purchased this amp as a result of downsizing my Marshall all valve rig. I was looking for a 2x12 combo (preferrably all valve) with as much bang for my buck as I could find. I was looking at the Line 6 Spider Valve 212, a Peavey Vypyr and a Fender Frontman 212 or Cyber Twin. I've never owned a Vox amp before and initially wasn't a fan, given that the first one of these amps I bought and tried, the AD100VT-XL, completely died after 20 minutes of playing. The shop immediately exchanged it for the VT100 and they also threw in the optional VFS5 footswitch for my troubles. I have to say I am now a huge fan of this amp. It's loaded with a truckoad of very useable amp models and 60 something amp presets and also lets you personalise and save 8 of your own. It does take some time to find your way around the models, presets and effects at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is an extremely versatile amp and great value. On the downside it loses a few points in a couple areas. It should come with the VFS5 footswitch as standard, because that really increases the useability of the amp's features. What's the point of having the ability to save presets if you have to walk over to your amp every time to access one of them - stupid. Some of the presets have WAY too much volume. Very annoying if you're playing at a suitable level and then you switch to another preset that rattles the walls. No user manual provided. In fact there is no documentation at all. You have to download it from the Vox website and even then there is no manual specifically for the VT100. You have to download the manual for it's baby brother the VT30. When you're spending $900+ I think the manufacturer at least owes you a manual on their product. All up, heaps of features for a great price. Top value!

27 comments sorted by best / new / date

    themelodicdeathshow
    ^Of course ur a dork lol i dont need a good clean sound i play metal dude, and u can get some pretty sweet bluesy sounds from the amp, classic rock, although its not the greatest amp i will agree but i paid 299.00 on a closeout sale, so overall looks like im the winner here lol!!
    The^Unforgiven
    SG-Burchett wrote: No manual? wtf? i got the 50 watt version of this (VT50) and it came with a manual....wierd. AWESOME byt the way-very flexible because there are so many overdrives to choose from. the valve preamp means this amp has a great clean sound when you're not using the digital overdrive.can go pretty loud too-you can easily use it to play smaller venues (pubs etc) because you can plug it into a cab to use as an extra speaker.-so if your on a budget you dont need to buy a head and a seperate practise amp as this amp can be both.
    ^ Oh, by the way, it's not a tube preamp, it says in the user manual that the 12ax7 is in fact in the power amp. Which seems strange, but sounds awesome.
    Sudaka
    does this amp have a built in loop station? or is it an effects looper what it has?
    killeraxeboy
    dr_92 wrote: how well does the vt100 take effects pedals?
    I've only got a Vox V845 wah to compare but it sounds fine if it's put into the effects loop but nowhere near as good when its between the guitar and input.
    WayLandWay
    Okay guys, first, I must say this amp is not worth $900+... I'm really really REALLY considering getting this amp, and I'm only going to pay $500. Anyway, great review. I tried this amp out once and wasn't sure if I was going crazy, or if the tone was really that great lol
    killeraxeboy
    Great review. I'm thinking about getting one of these or maybe the VT50, they both seem pretty sweet. I do think $910 is a rip off though. i think the amps worth $800 new and i've seen it a 330, not bad for a decent 100watt amp.
    kunkushin
    just bought this amp for 200 used, extra cheap because it was modified (only modification is caster wheels, which i think are fine if not an improvement.) I love it so far, it's only been a week. It's got some great sounds and a whole lot of power, I have to agree that Vox should have a manual specific to this amp though, I found some pdf off their site that is not very helpful in answering some question I have regarding a foot switch. Oh well, i guess for 200 bucks I really cant complain about not having an owners manual.
    gibsonfreak2010
    freakin awsome amp it can make my stupid first act sound as good as my gibson and fender. i have had it fir almost two years and all i had to do to it was tighten a skrew and that was because i had it too loud.this amp is very durable amd hard core. this amp is so unique that it can switch between hard core metalica and as light as when the children cry with the flip of a switch
    RockLock
    PRS1singlecut wrote: I just bought theValvetronix VT100 watt half stack(4 cab) it is very tight, when I am in the distortion channel, the only issue i am having is, no matter what i do, the clean channel is very hard to get a loud sound, when i switch to clean i loose a lot of power in the amp, but when i change to channel two for distortion its very loud, and when I try to turn up the clean to a nice level, the distortion channel become way too loud, I am pretty good at figuring things out, but this issue is making me mad lol, cause I want the clean channel at the same loudness, can anyone help me out on this issue.....
    Buy the VSF5 footswitch if you haven't already, it is a huge heIp on and off stage. Then I would suggest setting the programmable channels, doing one for your clean at a high volume and one for your distortion. That way you can have them the same volume when you switch
    PRS1singlecut
    I just bought theValvetronix VT100 watt half stack(4 cab) it is very tight, when I am in the distortion channel, the only issue i am having is, no matter what i do, the clean channel is very hard to get a loud sound, when i switch to clean i loose a lot of power in the amp, but when i change to channel two for distortion its very loud, and when I try to turn up the clean to a nice level, the distortion channel become way too loud, I am pretty good at figuring things out, but this issue is making me mad lol, cause I want the clean channel at the same loudness, can anyone help me out on this issue.....
    The^Unforgiven
    $900 for this amp and a footswitch? Can't help but to think it's a ripoff! Just bought the amp today and it cost 480, which I think is a bit under $600. And with it I received a manual. I'm very pleased with the amp. I've got an eq -pedal that I use with it, giving it a bit more highs when I need 'em. Overall it's one mighty fine amp!
    A Rhino
    thanks for this review. I've been checking this one out myself too. played it in a store and it was really good. However, I'm still stuck between this one and the all valve Marshall DSL which is also a combo, but more expensive because of brand and valves. what would you say? Marshall DSL410 or Vox VT100? I play rock and tend to lean out to metal now and then
    SG-Burchett
    No manual? wtf? i got the 50 watt version of this (VT50) and it came with a manual....wierd. AWESOME byt the way-very flexible because there are so many overdrives to choose from. the valve preamp means this amp has a great clean sound when you're not using the digital overdrive.can go pretty loud too-you can easily use it to play smaller venues (pubs etc) because you can plug it into a cab to use as an extra speaker.-so if your on a budget you dont need to buy a head and a seperate practise amp as this amp can be both.
    TheConjuration
    ProgFolk12 wrote: slipknot_420 wrote: ^Of course ur a dork lol i dont need a good clean sound i play metal dude, and u can get some pretty sweet bluesy sounds from the amp, classic rock, although its not the greatest amp i will agree but i paid 299.00 on a closeout sale, so overall looks like im the winner here lol!! And your musical tastes will never change? I'm just saying I hardly think the XL is a 'better' amp given how it lacks versatility. And I have tried the normal VT and the XL, I'm not just saying that
    He's got Slipknot in his screenname. He probably just discovered a band with masks and got drawn by the radio-friendly choruses and such.
    ProgFolk12
    slipknot_420 wrote: ^Of course ur a dork lol i dont need a good clean sound i play metal dude, and u can get some pretty sweet bluesy sounds from the amp, classic rock, although its not the greatest amp i will agree but i paid 299.00 on a closeout sale, so overall looks like im the winner here lol!!
    And your musical tastes will never change? I'm just saying I hardly think the XL is a 'better' amp given how it lacks versatility. And I have tried the normal VT and the XL, I'm not just saying that
    quadrophenia92
    I bought the VT30 about 3 months ago and I am still loving it to death. Fantastic sound, especially for the low price. I'm usually a tube amp + several pedals kind of guy, and I can be pretty skeptic about modeling amps, but this one really screams. My styles are mainly heavy metal/hard rock (think Iron Maiden/Slayer/Metallica rhythm tones and AC/DC/ZZ Top/Rush solo tones when I'm feeling bluesy) and I play clean parts reminiscent of the "shimmery" Boston-esque tones (think of Scholz's acoustic parts in Peace of Mind, More Than a Feeling, etc...). Definitely a great addition to anyone's amp collection.
    bla556
    I've only played through the VT30, which is 30 watts with 1x12 and it was VERY loud, even at lower settings, so I guess the vt100 is able to produce some high volumes
    GuitarPlayer716
    My question: is it really worth paying $900+ for a 2x12? Most half stacks are less than that. I'm in the market for a new amp to replace my Fender 212r, mostly because it's not loud enough, and I have a hard time buying another 2x12 is the first one wasn't sufficient
    padgea7x
    slipknot_420 wrote: ^Of course ur a dork lol i dont need a good clean sound i play metal dude, and u can get some pretty sweet bluesy sounds from the amp, classic rock, although its not the greatest amp i will agree but i paid 299.00 on a closeout sale, so overall looks like im the winner here lol!!
    alot of metal uses clean, but hey you don't have to use clean if you dont want to. this amp seems cool, good review
    ProgFolk12
    Of course it's better for metal. But not anything else, I mean it doesn't even have a proper clean sound, just the "glass" setting.
    dorado91
    I own the VT50 (which shouldn't be all that different from the VT100 right?) and your review fits my impression of the amp pretty well good job
    TigerSteve
    Awesome review. Been looking to buy one and you've pretty much sold it too me. Thanks!