Valvetronix VT100 review by Vox

Vox: Valvetronix VT100

Purchased from: Sticks 'n' strings

The VT100 is almost perfect for my playing style, that is, hard rock/ metal with a little bit of depressing Acoustic thrown in. (Weird huh?) The amp's "Boutique Metal" setting is very complete and with the right pickups is excellent. On the opposite end of the sound spectrum is the clean (acoustic) channel, which is perfect for Satch's "Tears on the Rain" or the opening to "Enter Sandman." I have experimented with the clean channel and even at ungodly levels the sound remains remarkably clean.

Overall, I think this amp is very good. I have never had any problems with and only have a couple complaints. One of those is that the preset sound for "Enter Sandman" (the electric guitar part) is very un-fabulous. Another is that some of the settings whine when the volume is turned way up. Don't get me wrong, I love this amp and were lost/stolen I would not hesitate to get the same the same one. In my opinion, this amp is the perfect product for someone who is serious about their music (this thing is expensive) but hasn't yet settled on what their music style is. If I were to add any other features, I would make the range of sound more extensive, but other than that, there is not much that I would change.

I think that this amp would hold up in a gig and it has never broken down, but then again I haven't lugged it around to many places so I can't say for sure.

Some of the features that the VT100 includes are 22 different amp styles from a light Acoustic to a heavy crunch. In addition, it has an effects loop which you can use while are in Manual Mode lets you cut out any effects until you are mastering your sound. The VT100 is a 100-watt amp (hence the name) and it gives great tone but can be a little overwhelming at times. (Think: bedroom, closet, back of your van, etc.) But, thanks to a small knob on the back, you can adjust the wattage so you don't have the fuzz swooping down on you every time you try to jam. I believe that the VT100 is superior to it's 50-watt counterpart simply because the power (and tone) lets you crank up the crunch to ungodly levels without the use if an external speaker. Incidentally, if the face-melting decibels this machine is capable of churning out are not sufficient for your apartment or duplex (or basement, for those of you have not yet "flown the coop") you can plug an external system into a port on the back of the machine. Also, it has a headphones jack on top which enables you to practice your Killer riffs even while your creepy girlfriend is asleep. (Yes, we know about her.)

rv_phoenix
    Until a couple of years ago, I was Vox' unconditional fan. My practice amp is still a Vox. But after the infamous takeover by Korg, something goes wrong with Vox. And I'm not talking only about the (deliberately) confusing policy of labelling, which makes two opposite amps - solid state and all-tube - get the same letters and numbers, the only difference in labelling coming from the last letter... Vox was famous for the purity of its sound, coming from the tubes and the handwiring. Now they took the path of digitalizing their line-up, in order to cope with makes like Line 6 or Roland: a complete error. It brings more customers (although Vox has become utterly expensive), but it ruins the fame and supporters' love for the brand. VT 100 is a toy for those who dream of copying other guitar players. It's the only way you can use it. Otherwise, if you try to avoid the DSP part of the amp and use it manually, what's left is very scarce. Gain is light-years behing classic AC30's, clean channel shows a hum over 2dB using an Evidence Lyric HG cable (completely noiseless), controls have limited effects on the sound delivered by the amp. Etc. etc. What a disappointment! And an expensive one! At 2/3 of its price, you can actualy buy a Kustom HV 65: 200 times better...
    OUhockey10
    I purchased this amp, it was broken... I returned it and got a new one, it was also broken... I had to have it repaired 3 times before I could finally sell it before the warranty expired
    Brendan.Clace
    Seref
    doive
    What i've never understood about amps like this is their market. It's a big enough to be enormously loud, but you'd never really want it to be and since the price is largely a reflection of the size compared to smaller models - i don't see why you'd spend the extra money. You can pay half as much for the 30w model without losing any functionality that you will actually use, or put all the money towards a smaller amp that sounds better. This amp is a compromise where you don't get what you want.
    Krpkmatt
    Gojira91
    Krpkmatt : I personally have the VOX AD100VT which by the sounds of it, is very similar to this Amp. Overall it is a very good amp, the presets are great, and there is plenty of room for a custom sound. However, the only criticism i have for this Amp, is the weight. It weighs and absolute ton for its size. So lugging it around for Gigs is a really hassle. So i'd recommend a trolley of some sort.
    maybe if you werent a weak little girl that wouldnt be a problem.
    Charley2715
    I have this amp too, and while i have spent a pretty large amount of time tinkering with all the settings, i can honestly say it finally sounds like a very good amp that i'm proud of. ALL of of the presets in any form were weak to me, so i banked my favorites and spent alot of time messing around with them. Other than being a naturally dark voiced amp, this thing sound fantastic for only being $500.
    rv_phoenix
    Seref wrote: Brendan.Clace wrote: 9...of course....cause you know...its definitely on par with a *insert amazing tube amp here* Ratings are given in accordance with their price in most cases. A $500 amp with the tone and features you'd expect from a $600 amp will get a high rating. A $2000 tube amp with the tone and features you would expect from a $1500 amp would likely be rated quite low.
    No, you're wrong: ratings are not given upon price, but upon the real quality of the equipment. We don't write them for us, in order to check if we spell English well enough for graduation, but in order to advise other people, less experienced than us. These people, being so unexperienced, don't know where to look for, which amps are expensive and which are not, and usually look for the amp they are prepared to buy. We have the responsability to tell them if it's good or bad, regardless the price: our fellows have to be warned they are ready to pay their hardly-earned 100 euros on crap. The price issue is a tricky one too, because at the end a Behringer will get the same 8,6 as an Engl, and this is just unfair to Engl and to all those who will buy a Behringer, reassured by the 8,6. As for Vox, I didn't have any quality issues whatsoever, but mine was made in 2001: as anyone can see, Vox has changed very much in the last decade. When they moved from the UK to Korea, it was a half-step down. Now they've moved to China: ten steps under Korea. And the toys they sell as amps aren't encouraging. Nor are the utterly high prices for real all-tube amps: all of them, higher than the competiton, for inferior amps in terms of output and playability.
    georgyyy
    Great great great amp! I love this machine! i have to admit that when i made the purchase i was a bit confused cause my style doesn't follow the hard core metal rivers... however this amp is great"i must say maybe better" in the clean sounds...i just love the ac15TB ...oh my god that a sound!!!! Draw-backs...IF i say IF you play through the presets only it is likely to plug in the loop input an EQ"i have a low cost behringer". without it you must notice that the sound lacks of highs or "as i read it over internet" like you have a blanket in the speakers...and that's all! i don't consider the weight as a drawback... With the pedals i must admit that i'm not very keen on using them but i've plug in the EQ the BOSS metal zone and the chorus and the crybaby "i'm not sure if it is correct to plug them in the loop input...maybe i should plug the chorus and the metal zone direct to the guitar"and it is just perfect. The thing with the differences in the volume is only for the presets... in the manual mode the volume is stable. the foot-switch is perfect if you save the sounds in the same volume through manual mode! using the foot-switch for open/close the effects and etc is fine. Overall a great amp! huge variety of sounds/tones. Too heavy and a bit messy with all these amps and effects.
    space_114
    I have owned this amp for 2yrs and I am very happy with it. I have not had any issues with it and the tones that I can achieve are excellent for a modeling amp. I also use a pod xt , Princeton reverb, bugera v5 , and a roland micro cube . I can honestly say this amp sounds very decent for a modeling amp . It's hit and miss on getting a good one like most offshore amps these days. 3 friends have these also , one was doa from new and the other had to be repaired under warranty due to a buzz and the other has been used and taken to jams for three years bought used and still no issues.
    YgO
    Thanks for the review. Of course, I could just look this stuff up online, but what size are the speakers? Looks like there's two in there. Also, is this a tube amp, solid state, or a combination of the two?