Valvetronix VT15 review by Vox

Vox: Valvetronix VT15

Price paid: € 179

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I play a Gibson Les Paul Studio, built in 1996. I play most hardrock n classic rock (Bhse Onkelz, Guns n Roses, Pink Floyd) but sometimes other things too. RHCP, Hendrix, or just a bit Pop. Everything that just comes to mind. But my homebase is Hardrock and Classic Rock, so I need a nice distorted, british sound. Lets begin with the clean models: They are like real amps, if you crank the gain, they distort. If you tweak the settings, theres everything from warm to bright. You really have to play with the knobs on the amp. If you inmcrease the gain you can even let it distort very creamy (like a real TUBE amp). Rolling of the gain on the guitar cleans the whole thing up. All Voxes are there, AC15, AC30, AC50, and so on. I don't like the original Vox-Sound that much, but that's my own opinion. But that's just me, dispassionate they sound nice. There is an amount of distorted amp models, each has a historic background (With a bit imagination you know "who's who?". In the user manual every amp is a bit "described". Nice to read too.

Like I said I bought if for playing at home. It has everything I need (Really nice amp-models) and even more stuff I don't use at all (effects, bank and preset-storing). It has warm tube sounds and the wide variety of modeling, so you could say "the best of both worlds". If it was stolen or something I would definetly buy another one, cause it's just amazing for playing at home or jamming with a few others (It's very handy and not too heavy). Maybe I would even gig with it in a tiny club. I give it a 9. It's digital, it's modelling and whatever, but it just nails the sounds I need and I like: Good, harmonic Distortion.

Just got it a few weeks ago, so I cannot say how about that. The only thing I don't know is the tube. You can't see it at the backside of the tube, so you would need to open it to switch it. But it really looks lasting. I give it a 9, cause all others categories got one, too.

I think the two other reviews showed the features really well. It's just a modeling amp with a tube. I think thats called hybrid, or something. It has a wide variety of styles from ultra clean, to Fender Twin, Vox AC XY, to US and UK Highgain to Metal. So, it suits just all. In my opinion. The effects go from all things, flanger, delay, comp, chorus, rotary, tremolo and several combinations of that. And a TAP-Tempo. Very cool. I for mine dont use many effects, so they are not that important for me. But it's cool to just fool around sometimes. The Reverb (which has its own knob) is just amazing. I like the sound of that wide "room" and u can really tweak it. THE REAL DEAL is the POWER LEVEL. As there is a tube in the VT15, that acts a bit like a "Endstufe" (Dont know the word, "outputstage"???). Whatever. Fact is: like a real all tube amp the distortion gets more creamy the more the volume and master is "up". But, that would be loud as shit. So theres a Power Level on the backside. So you can crank up volume and master (And u want to crank it up, its just awesome! :)) and decrase the power. So u can play with volume and master all up, even at 11 p.m. This amp has preset and bank options to store the settings of amp and effects. But I dont use it, so it doesnt go into my judging. Unfortunatelly, the pedalboard for this amp costs another 80 , so i'm a bit angry, cause with the board this amop would really have stage-quality (Switching channels and effects, 'n so) I buyed this amp for playing in my room. I had a noname-solid-state-amp that was just shit, so i needed something new. In the practiceroom of my band i have a 120 w all tube Peavey (a Windsor), so it had to be a tubeamp. Sadly there arent many tube amps that are good for playing at home (in the bedroom), so the VT 15 was a compromise. But a good Compromise. I give it a 9. It has really all and it is user-friendly. Sadly the pedalboard is damn expensive, but thats not that bad, the power level-knob offsets that.

alithegreatest
    DimebagZappa wrote: I own the 30. One big complaint!!!! The tube and power sponge are completely bypassed while using headphones. They told me its so you dont blow your eardrums. Well I can barely hear it some days! Also really touchy on low volumes (no phones). Even with the power sponge I have difficulties not bothering my neighbours. Another thing.... Chorus/ comp!?!? I want a stand alone compressor! The hell with chorus! Oh well, its a decent amp for a 200$ modelling amp, even with the crap digital effects. Review to come...maybe.
    Read the damn manual! Turning the EDIT 3 knob [BYPASS+EDIT] all the way to the left will turn CHORUS off, letting you use COMP by itself.
    Shaunfromtheuk
    Shaunfromtheuk wrote: Can anybody comment on the song presets particularly the layla, crossroads, sultans of swing and pride (in the name of love) effects on the VT15 model?
    Yeah i can comment now seeing as i bought it haha, they are bloooody brilliant!!
    finn1992
    Bought this amp only a few days ago and the speaker its self was broken. However hooked phones jack into my old amp and tried out the effects and they were great!! Sent it back now but can't wait till it comes back repeaired. For 109, what more could you want?
    Genet022
    Awesome amp! i wasnt sure if i should go with this or a bigger version, so i was cheap and went with the 15W. And Im glad i did! Its easily loud enough to gig with. Maybe not if ur playing a huge concert, but this will get the job done. It can cover nearly any sound you could ever want and the tone of this thing is just perfect.
    7guitarist7
    im looking at getting one of these or the vt30. i just need it for home practice, band practice, recording, and small gigs. which should i get? btw, i dont have much money, or i would go with something bigger.
    acdcman2345
    blakeg14
    acdcman2345 wrote: Anyone play the VT20+ yet??? iv been looking at the VT15 till i saw the new one...
    The VT20 has a tuner on it, more watts, and more presets. I think I'll go for it.
    DimebagZappa
    Leep_dog
    I have this amp, and I really like it but I have been thinking about upgrading. I played a Fender Super Champ XD today and thought it sounded great, better than my Vox. Has anyone played/own both, and if so, which do you prefer and why?
    creedundead
    bought the vt 20+ a few days back...loving it already... with 99 preset amps and tuner...love the sound of this baby....goes very nicely with my schecter omen 6....really a value for your money... plus the aesthetics are awesome...really loving this buy...\m/
    Psyborg9
    Ye,I got one of these 50 quid from the cash converter.Bloody good with a Switch guitar...
    ljeto
    I have a VT 15 - I do not know if this is an isolated case (though if you google 'Vox volume spike' or similar, it seems it's not), but I get unexpected volume boosts and distorted sounds, mainly from ead strings. I've had it less than a year, and I will take it back to the shop, but I really would not buy it again. Vox page says that you need to clean the contacts with 'electrical contact cleaner' solution, but again, this does not convince me it will work. Otherwise it's a nice home/practice amp (my only amp), but this is too much of an issue to ignore.