Valvetronix VT20+ review by Vox

Vox: Valvetronix VT20+

Purchased from: Sounds Vantastic

It has 99 preset amp models including 33 song models which is very useful. Typical Gain, Treble, Middle, Bass, Master but it also has a channel volume knob and a power level knob which bump it up to 30 watts if needed or take it down to 5 watts. It has a built in tuner and 8 preset channels, 2 banks of 4 to store all your own sounds in. It has 11 stompbox effects with its own gain knob and 11 modulation effects also with own gain knob. It has a separate reverb knob with 3 types of reverb. The optional VFS5 is definitely worth the small charge as it does more than switch between the 8 preset channels. When you're on amp model mode it toggles the reverb, mod effects, stompbox effects and you can set a tap tempo. It makes gigging a lot easier and controlling it a lot simpler.

It has a very rich tone sound and has amazing clean sounds, is a necessary. Last year I was playing metal and it held the high gains and distortions very well (and lots of different choices in all effects). Now I'm playing more blues/rock and it has brilliant overdrives and the amp models are perfect for that. It is the most versatile amp and handles all effects on it very very well. I've payed a bit of country as well and that came out amazingly. I have yet to find a sound it doesn't handle well.

It is fairly durable. Not as durable as say a Roland Cube but it will do the fair amount of transporting and can take a few hits but I wouldn't push it and is very reliable in gigs. It has yet to let me down. The only downside is due it being a tube amp when you turn it on it takes a couple of seconds for the sound to come through. Apart from that it is good. Not amazing, I would say my only let down on the amp is the fact that it needs to warm up before you play but its not a crisis to buy 5 seconds on stage and it is by fr the ultimate practice and a very good gigging amp.

This is a great match for just about any music that you want to play. I've been playing about 5 years and I've had this amp about a year and a half and I don't feel the need to get any effects pedals or units. The only thing I need is n expression pedal but those never come with amps so as far as the amp goes it is top notch. I've considered switching to a Fender Mustang I because with Fuse it is probably the second best practice amp in my opinion (for the price range) but it is a hastle going onto Fuse every 5 seconds so the Vox is a lot more easily accessible to its full potential and you won't need any other equipment except your guitar and cables (and maybe an expression pedal). It is by far the best practice amp for its price range in my opinion. Especially with the footswitch only if you go gigging - not necessary but very handy.

evollover.er
    I was blessed by my older brother Freddie, who for a coming home and christmas gift, we stopped by Sam Ash in Ontario Mills Mall, he said "pick and choose what you like." I tried to stay under $200, but not my Jarhead brother. I ended up with a Gibson/Epiphone SG-Pro and a VOX Valvetronix VT20+. Although there is no booklet or instructions, (FLOOR MODEL) I had to figure it out as I went along. Now, I am a beginer, been playing on and off for +/- 10 yrs. As my first REAL setup, I could not be any happier. And once I figure out how to dial in all the goodies that the VOX VT20+ has, I'll be Pissing of the neighbors. I love this Amp, the VT20+ was so bad ass that I went and bought the VOX VFS5 Foot Switch. VOX and my Jarhead Brother, you both are Bad Ass, and to those of you who served for this great country of ours.... Semper Fi.....HOOOOORAH!!!!! Sincerely, E. Ramos, VOX VT20+/VFS5
    ybershtadt
    I love this amp but the fuzz is the shittiest thing i ever heard, it sounds like the amp is trying to swallow your guitar sound and it's too warm of a sound, sounds like you turned down your tone to zero and wanted to get the worst sound in existence. other than that the amp has great clean tone, effects, distorted sound but never touch the fuzz