Valvetronix VT20X review by Vox

• Tube Bias/Class selection
  • Tone Room modeling software
  • Built in tuner
  • User Presets
  • Pedal 1 (Compression, Chorus, Overdrive, Distortion)
  • Pedal 2 (Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, Delay)
  • Reverb (Room, Spring, Hall, Plate)
  • 3.5 mm Auxiliary input
  • 3.5 mm Headphone jack
  • Footswitchable (sold separately)
  • Classic Vox appearance
  • All controls and jacks are on the top panel

This amplifier is a very good modeling amp for a hobbyist, like myself. A professional would be better at telling you if this is a "gigable" amp. It is a ton of fun with 8 amp models readily available with 3 factory settings each. There is many more if you connect to your computer or Apple device and use the Tone Room software. The amp models include Deluxe and Bassman Fenders, Marshall, Mesa, Peavey, even a Dumble, and of course, Vox. Although they can't say the names of the competitors, it's not hard to figure out what models they're modeling.

Additionally, a savvy user can pick and choose from an assortment of different types of pedals in the software and make advanced adjustments and save it to a user bank in the amp, so you don't have use the computer every time.

The modeling seems fairly accurate to my novice ear. I know it can make some really nice sounds, but if you are attempting to make a 20 watt hybrid modeling amp sound like a Marshall cabinet, you may be disappointed. That said, it is more than capable of running me out of my basement office with my ears bleeding.

The Fender sounds are crisp and clean like you'd expect, but it's not a '68 Deluxe. The noise reduction feature helps you out if you have single coils and want to clean it up, but if you turn up the sensitivity too much it will reduce your sustain.

I cannot attest to how well this amp will "gig." But I imagine with a mic or in a smallish setting you could get by. I have owned the amp for about 6 months and have not had any problems, although the power plug looks like a laptop computer cord with a transformer box and the plug feels a little wimpy, like it might break if you accidentally bumped or kicked it.

The selection buttons on the display feel good and solid, more rubbery than plasticky. The "chicken head" style knobs are of hard plastic and seem durable. They have a nice smooth resistance when you turn them.

There are no steel corner protectors on this model, but aftermarket ones can be purchased and installed. Has 4 resilient rubber "feet" on the bottom which helps keep the vibration of the floor to a minimum. The "VOX" emblem on the front looks cheap and plasticky, but is attached well.

Overall, I am pleased with this purchase. It is on par with anything in the $150-$200 price range. It was an upgrade from my Peavey Rage which had no bells or whistles. I also looked at a Fender, Roland, Line 6, Peavey, and Marshall. They all had their pros and cons, so it's really a matter of taste. In my opinion the Vox had the sound I was looking for, but you may like something else better.

I usually use clean settings with my Epiphone ES-335 Dot, and Les Paul Standard Pro with a touch of reverb. I like the way that this amp "breaks up" when you get on it. It has the feel of a tube amp, since it has a tube.

For what it's worth, I highly recommend this amp for a beginner with means or an intermediate player. The big boys can probably afford better.

playitpro
    I’m very disappointed in Vox VTX series, no direct output. The manual says to use the headphone jack, and, by the way, it cuts the external speaker… WTF ! Glad I researched it in depth before buying.