Valvetronix VT30 review by Vox

Vox: Valvetronix VT30

Purchased from: Audiomusica

I use a Squier California Stratocaster with S-S-S config. I know that with single coils is really hard to get a hi-gain tone but this amp make my Strat sounds heavy enough to play Metallica or Dream Theater. It has noise reduction but I don't use it beacuse my guitar has single coils and it produces that ankward hum and when I try to take out the hum, I got to use a lot of noise reduction and this ends shuting notes, I prefer my guitar being noisy than muted. On the clean models I use them with the gain knob at 12 o'clock because it acts like a volume knob and with the other volume knob and the master volume I can set it to sound clean and loud without getting dirty. On the Gain Channels I use the gain dimed, yeah it may be crazy but I've always done it on any amp or pedal because I just like it. Some say that it can't handle Metal but I don't think so, it makes my Squier sounds "br00talz". It is noisy with Hi-gain but it is because I'm using single coils, every thing else is nice.

I've mentioned all the styles I play and yes, this is a good match for me. I've been playing since 2006 and this is my second amp, I've used a Freeman 15W crap amp for the last years and finally I bought a new amp. I got a Vox Bulldog Distortion for the Freeman amp and it sounded great, but with this amp it sucks because when I turn on the pedal on my clean setting it sucks a lot of tone and volume. I tried Marshall MG's, some Ibanez amps and a Roland Cube 20 and this amp killed them all, I think that the footswitch should be includedbecause it helps you a lot. If it were stolen I would buy it again but maybe one of his bigger brothers like the VT50 or the VT100 if I'm gigging. Nice amp if you play need a lot of versatility on a practice amp.

I haven't played gigs with it but I think that it could nail some small gigs. I got it since last week only so I doesnt't have a lot of experience with this amp but it really looks durable, I've heard that the Vox logo may fall from the grill but I don't think that it can happen.

I bought this amp as my birthday present and I'm very happy with it, Here in Chile a new VT30 is near to the $400 US and I bought this because there was an offer with 20% free on the all amps so this was a great deal. I think that this amp was made in 2008 or 2009 because is of the newest Valvetronix series, I play from Pop Rock to Blues Rock to Hard Rock to Alt. Rock to Thrash Metal so this amp is really nice to me, I can get from those Fender-ish cleans to a nice British distortion to that modern Hi-Gain. It has 66 preset settings that are really nice but I never use them, I prefer to tweak the knobs and find my tone. I can save 8 settings that I use for all of those styles. It has 22 Amp models that are these: -BOUTIQUE CL/MODDED CL: Dumble Overdrive (Clean)/Fender Showman (Dumble Modded) -DELUXE TWEED/TWEED 2X12: Fender Tweed Deluxe/Fender '57 Twin Amp -SUPER 4X10/TWEED 4X10: Fender Super Reverb/Fender Tweed Bassman -AC15TB/AC15: Vox AC15 (1960's Top Boost)/VOX AC15 (1950's EF86) -AC30HH/AC30TB: Vox AC30HH/VOX AC30TB -EXPRESS TRAIN/BOUTIQUE OD: Trainwreck Express/Dumble Overdrive (Overdrive) -AC50CP2/AC30BM: Vox AC50CP2/Vox AC30BM Brian May -UK 25TH/UK '80S: Marshall 2555 Slash Jubilee/Marshall JCM800 -US '90S/CALI METAL: Peavey 6505/Mesa Boggie Dual Rectifier -UK MODERN/UK '90S: Marshall JVM/Marshall JCM2000 -BOUTIQUE METAL/METAL BULL: Diezel VH4/VHT Pittbull I use this amp on my bedroom with the wattage knob low and I use to Jam with friends with the necessary volume, it can get loudet than I thought before. It has Delay, Tape Echo, Chorus, Comp, Phaser, Flanger, Rotary Speaker, Tremolo, Octave, Pitch shifter and independent Reverb, I couldnt imagine that I could buy an amp like this, the effects sound really nice but I use some of them only. It has an Phone Jack but I've never used it. I would like to have the VFS5 Footswitch but I is sold separately. This is really necesary beacuse I know that you don't like to stop playing and go to press a button on your amp to change from Clean to Distortion.