Valvetronix VT30 review by Vox

Vox: Valvetronix VT30

Purchased from: Vox/Fair Deal at LiveMusic NEC, UK

I use two retro fitted humbuckers in an old '89 stratocaster. I want warm sounds with a little bit of distortion and this amp seems to be great for that. The amp is loud enough for my requirements. Have not tried the more heavier distortion tones much but I think they would sound great when the volume cranked up.

I like rock, blues, some heavier stuff. I have been playing for 20 years and this is the most versatile little amp I have ever owned. No need for patch leads and effects pedals anymore, this does the lot for me and more. Nice compact sturdy construction. If there was anything else on it I would opt for a guitar tuner built in like most of the other digi-combos on the market, but I can tune a guitar from a pitch fork quite well so not essential for me.

I only use at home and not had any issues with it at all. I would be confident to gig with it. Never broken down in short time I have had it. Never had a valve amp before so I don't know how long the preamp valve will last but I think it is easy to replace and they are easy to purchase. I like the way you can see the valve glow red inside when you look through the slit's at the top of the amplifier, although I am concerned I might (or my clumsy son might) spill my beer down them? Maybe there's a nifty drainage hole in the bottom, but never looked.

Bought this amplifier two days ago and I am extremely pleased with it. I have two other combo type amplifiers (non valve) and the tonal quality of the other two is no where near as good as this Vox. The valve preamp does make a difference and sounds great after a short while to warm up. All the features are listed here already so no need to repeat again. I do wish there was an effects send and return on the back but not that important as the effects not already included on the amp can easily go between my guitar and amp. I only use for home use and it will eventually end up in my son's possession one day. I am confident it will last for many years until then.

GuerillaGorilla
    Hey, so I'm looking at this and the Peavey Vypyr for my next amp- which would you guys recommend? I use a BOSS OS-2 for my distortion and overdrive, which do you think would give a better tone?
    jetwash69
    Big difference between a 3 75 & a 'valve 212!
    MetallAndy
    MetallAndy wrote: jetwash69 wrote: MetallAndy wrote: BigFella69 wrote: i play mettalica to death metal and im think of buying this amp or a spider 3 75 but dont know which to get can anyone help me out? I have this Vox amp and a Spider Valve 212. I would say that the Vox is amazing for almost every genre, but in my opinion it's weak for metal. The spider works best for metal in my opinion. Big difference between a 3 75 & a 'valve 212! Yeah, but I have the 3 75 as well and I prefer that one over the Vox too. But I love the clean sound of the Vox and it's great for more bluesy stuff and rock like AC/DC.
    Nevermind anything I've said about the Vox. I forgot that I have the Vox AD30VT, not the VT30, sorry!