Valvetronix VT30 review by Vox

Vox: Valvetronix VT30

Price paid: € 220

I use this amp with Cort EVL Z4 guitar with passive EMG pickups. I play 80s and 90s thrash. Before I used MetalZone pedal with low end solid state 0 Watt amp, I was not satisfied with the sound. I use also DigiTech RP250 multieffect connected to my home HIFI, I can get nice distorted sound out from this. I expected better results with new Vox VT30, I have to say that I am little bit disappointed. The amp itself is not very good for metal palying without using aditional distortion in front of amp. The metal amp models do not have enough gain and distortion is fuzzy an muddy. I like clean, bright distorion free of noise with enogh crunch. I cannot get it with the VT30. I tried to add distortion in front of amp with simulation of Tube Screamer from my RP250, the sound gets much better with more crunch, but still lacks the dynamics and does not sound better than the amp models in DigiTech multieffet. The models of clean and "softly" overdrived models are better. Overall, sound from VT30 seems to me "caval", and reminds me of sound that you get when hitting the pot with the spoon in kitchen...Unless you are not very demanding, dont expect good metal sound from this amp. On high gain amp models there is a lot of feedback noise and hum, but you can easily reduce it with editable noise gate. There are also several affects like delay, chorus, octaver, flanger, phaser etc, which in fact do not interest me, so I will not comment on their quality. The only effect useful to my playing was the reverb, which sounds good in my opinion.

Still, for the money it is quite good amp with little tube-like feeling of the sound, probably good enough for clean and slightly overdriven hard rock or blues sounds, but there is too fuzzy distortion for anything more nad always present hollow sound of big pot being hit by metal spoon. The metal models are not very good themselves, you will have to add some ovedrive or slight distortion in front-end and spent some time tweaking the sound. Fortunatelly you can save up to 8 own presets, which is enough. I will return the amp and look for something else.

I cannot comment much on durability and reliability, but amp seems good built quality, no flaws. It weighs 12 kg, and looks masssive. Chickenhead knobs are easy to operate, nothing was lose etc, I think this is really no crap and also looks stylish. I have had the amp only for few days, so dont ask me how reliable it is in long term.

I was preparing to buy this amp for a ferw weeks. Have read all available reviews, seen demos etc. This amp is definitelly very versatile, on the other hand the number of models is not too high, which is good OK to me - I prefer quality, not quantity. Features that I miss are: tuner and aux input. The latter I miss, however I knew that before I bought the amp. The best think is the poewer attenuator, which allows you to play at low volume with full tube-like tone. I use this amp for home practising only.