Valvetronix VT30 review by Vox

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 8
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Features: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 9.3 Superb
  • Users' score: 9.3 (55 votes)
Vox: Valvetronix VT30
1

Price paid: £ 130

Sound — 8
I run it through many guitars, mainly through a single coil Fender Strat. When cycling through the clean amp presets, the tone is really quite nice. The full sound of the Vintage Strat pickups can easily be noticed. With a bit of gain on the more punchier amp presets, again the tone cannot majorly be faulted. These really are the 2 main boundaries my style slots into. I do occasionally play it through heavy distortion, however I think a lot of the tone is lost. In my opinion the tone becomes quite muddy, which I have noticed with all of my guitars, even through humbucker pups. If you only use it for bedroom use and practice, really it can't be faulted unless you have really high expectations. With the quality of the built-in effects, I have no problems at all with them, very nice high quality which I expected from Vox.

Overall Impression — 9
For the style of music that I play, it completely fits the bill. I fully uitlise the built-in effects (apart from pitch for obvious reasons) and quite possibly 70% of the amp presets. The other 30% don't appeal to me for lack of tone, however I very rarely play anything that requires this amp setting so s'all good! When put up against other solid state amps in it's price range, this one comes top. Maybe other amps such as Peaveys support a better heavier tone, but lack on the sheer amount of features and quality of cleaner tones. If this was stolen, I wouldn't buy a new one because I want a tube amp! That means nothing though because it's a quality amp and would be very sad to see it go. I'd give it a 10 overall if it supported the same tone that other amp presets offer, otherwise it would be perfect for what it is. Nice one Vox for a quality product.

Reliability & Durability — 10
I've had the amp for over a year now and it's still going strong. Nothing at all has gone wrong with it, and I play hours on end with it. With the question of whether I'd gig with it, I have done on quite a few occasions, only small scale gigs mind. Again volume is plenty. I wouldn't bother with a backup amp at a gig because I've not had a single problem with this amp. You'd have to be a very unlcuky guitarist for this amp to fail on you.

Features — 10
May I just say, in terms of features, it's a Vox amp. In their usual fashion, they've gone very far in this aspect. Prebuilt into the amp are 22 different amp models split across 2 channels, ranging from soft, clean amp presets to more punchy, heavier ones. It's a similar story with the effects prebuilt, with 11 different effects, including delay, chorus, tremlo, etc. Also there are a few effects that are doubled up, for instance chorus delay, just to add to the versitility. Reverb has it's own seperate control away from the effects bank, so it's posible to run 3 effects through. Fo the 30 Watt amp I chose, it has plenty in terms of volume, for home use and occasional small gigs. A nob on the rear of the amp allows variable Watt output which is helpful in many situations. This is a modeling tube amp, so you get a much rich tone compared to conventional solid state amps. In terms of features it had exceeded my expectations.

0 comments sorted by best / new / date