Valvetronix VT30 review by Vox

Vox: Valvetronix VT30

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: L&M

I play a MIM Telecaster with Seymour Duncan HOT Rail pickups. I play mostly hard rock, punk and blues. This amp suites my needs just fine. The amp is not noisy and the small vacuum tube can really pack a punch if you open it up and crank up the volume. On the other hand you can open up the tube and leave the volume on low (if you don't wish to wake the neighbors) and you will not lose the rich tube sound. As stated above the amp has tons of effect and sound options. I love the reverb sound on the VT30. There is also an adjustment knob for the reverb and other effects so you can really play with it. There are alot of distortion options on this amp and in my opinion they all sound very good. I do find the distortion gets a tad fuzzy at really high volumes and I do not like the sound I get when I plug a distortion pedal into this amp. Mind you... There are how many pedals on the market? So it may just be mine (Boss ODS 2).

Overall; if you like hard rock, punk, blues and are not playing large gigs every weekend, this amp is a great buy. If you do play alot of gigs but need a good practice / studio amp, check out the VT30. I would buy this amp again if I had to. I love the distortion options, the mini tube gives a very rich sound and the reverb is amazing.

This amp is definitely reliable. I have owned it for over 2 years and it is still going strong, no issues. It is very heavy for its size, something like 40 pounds, which is great because its a sturdy little thing but not so good if you have a bad back.

The VT30 is a 1x10 amp that uses a small, vacuum tube to create a unique sound. It has 2 channels and usually comes with a foot switch to change channels as desired. The great thing about this amp is the features. At least 10 pre-sets ranging from clean, funky, poppy, and all out rock. It also has tons of effects options like reverb, chorus, delay and flanger. I do not play in a band and I don't play gigs anymore so this amp is great for the at home player or a weekend Jam with friends. A 2x12 version is available for someone in need of more ummph!

MaggaraMarine
    GuerillaGorilla wrote: Hey, so I'm looking at this and the Peavey Vypyr for my next amp- which would you guys recommend? I use a BOSS OS-2 for my distortion and overdrive, which do you think would give a better tone?
    Ahh... Why are people thinking of buying modeling amps if they get their sound from a distortion pedal. The modeling amps are designed to be used without pedals. That's why they have so many amp models and effects. So if you want to use your dist. pedal don't buy a modeling amp! Because you won't use its features you just pay extra. If you want same kind of amp as this and want to use pedals I think AC30VR would be better. It's non digital so I think it takes pedals better too.