Valvetronix VT40+ review by Vox

Vox: Valvetronix VT40+

Purchased from: Craigslist

I use this with my Gibson LP Studio and with the Vox amps (AC15, and AC30, standards and custom) I can finally get that very bright sound I've been looking for. With the Marshall presets I can still get those warm heavy tones, and through a tube as well. Some of the built in effects sound cheap, but you can't expect to have it all. The gain built in to the modeling amps sound great, but if you want more overdrive the built in pedals don't cut it. I actually use a real pedal through the amp models rather than the built in pedals.

I used to love playing heavy metal, and now I play UK rock, modern rock, and the likes. This amp gives me the exact tones I need to play what I want. I've been playing since 2000 and have gone through 4 different amps, few different pedals, and only one modeling board. I would recommend this to anyone from starters to advanced players. It's simple to get the hang of for beginners, and allows advanced players to play with infinite sounds. I would say the ability to get bright clingy sounds, to rich warm tones, and the preamp tube are my favorite features. If there was one thing Vox could work on it's the built in pedals so I could get a more realistic sounding stomp box. For being a Vox the price is excellent for what I paid for. Very content with the purchase.

This amp is built very well. The grill cloth is built the same way old fashioned Voxs were, but rather just in black (which I found a website that customizes the cloth and logo to make it look retro). Vinyl on the side seems that it may scratch easy, and there are no protectors on the corners. Speaker sounds great, although I would have loved a Celestion for it's reliability. Nothing has yet to break down, and I've cranked everything up before.

The amp was most likely made in 2010 in Vietnam (Under the license of Vox UK). I sold a Marshall MG100DFX in order to buy this amp (which compared in price some may think it's a downgrade, but far from it). To my surprise, I could even get the exact tone the MG gave me, plus all the other tones as well. The amp comes with a 12 AX7 tube preamp which gives it powerful tones. Headphone and CD in are included. I bought this amp because I wanted a tube amp, and this gives the perfect sound, with modeling features (the new meets the old). VT40+ allows me to crank it up to 60 Watts, which is definitely enough for a practice amp, and definitely enough to mic up at a gig.