Valvetronix VT40+ review by Vox

Vox: Valvetronix VT40+

Purchased from: Big Apple Music

I have a Fender Strat, so obviously, I have single coil pickups, but I also have another old strat look alike with a single bridge humbucker pickup. Because of the versatility of this amp, I can play most any style with both guitars. There are a few amp settings that are lower than the others, like the UK Rock special (yellow) setting, and obviously, the clean/cali clean settings are low, but that's about it. It can go from a very clean, almost sparkle type setting all the way to all out heavy metal. At higher levels, the clean setting is distorted, but not enough to where it has a heavy tone. The distortion is perfect. It's brutal enough for any metalhead. I mean, it could be more, but this is not solely a metal amp, but, it's very versatile.

I mainly play stuff like hard rock to heavy metal, but I also play some lighter, classic rock. This is a pretty nice match to what I play. I have been playing for about 3 years now, but, I have no other gear along with it. The only thing I wished that I asked before buying this is if they had the pedal footboard designed for this amp to switch the different user presets I put in, but other than that, nothing else. I love this amp for the power and features it has. I have no complaints about this amp thus far. My favorite feature would have to be the gold drive, it works well with so many of my amps, but my 2nd would probably be auto-wah. I have compared this amp to the Line 6 Spider IV 30 Watt, and, the Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt, and this was the best choice for me. Frankly, for a first amp, I don't really need anything else. The price was right, seeing how they sold it to me for $50 less than the original sticker price, I got a pretty good deal.

This amp is pretty dang reliable. If I didn't have a backup for this in a gig, I wouldn't fret (ha...). I picked this amp solely because it sounded better than any other I tried out in that wattage category. Because this is a relatively new amp, I haven't had it broken down or had any problems in general.

For the price of this amp, this has a lot of features. This is a pretty versatile amp because of the music that I mainly play, Classic Rock to Heavy Metal, this is a great all around amp. Overall, it has 99 presets. 33 different amps, 11 pedal effects, 11 different general effects, and, 3 different styles of Reverb. It has both a headphone jack and an auxillary input. There a few effects that I never really use, but they are there and they are pretty nice to have. I only really use this amp in a small room, but because of the great feature of selecting your wattage output, I can play this, have a great sound even though it's at a low volume, so I won't disturb others with it. Although, I can increase this amp all the way to 60 watts if I want to. This is a very solid, great, all purpose tube amp.

georgebushguy79
    I have it and I love it! Can someone please tell me how to get those heavy tones out of it? I tried the different metal settings and tweaking, but I just can't quite get the tone I want.