VR30 review by Vox

Vox: VR30

Purchased from: Steve's Music Toronto

I use a Godin Freeway Classic (hum/single/hum) 3 pick-up system guitar with a Boss GE-7 equalzer, Boss CE-3 sustainer and a Roland Micro Cube for chorus/flanger/phaser/tremolo/delay effects along with the Vox V002 footswitch to change between the 2 channels. With out the front loaded set-up I'm using, the VR30 is essentially a poor man's AC30 with the classic Vox Britsh crean/crunch sounds with plenty of room adjustability to get the right mix for most sound tastes.

With my aformentioned musical tastes and styles I like to play, this little Vox VR30 is perfect for me and my limited budget. I have been playing acoustic guitar for 30 years and just last year I decided to go electric and have aquired this modest little set-up. When I bought the Vox, I compared it with the Marshall MG30, Line 6 Spider II 30 and the Crate GT30. No contatest. The Vox won me over in every catagory, sound, looks, versatility, price etc. In fact, when I take the plunge and get a more up scale amp, I intend to keep this VR30 and will likely get a top line Vox (AC30 or AD120VTX) because of my happiness with this product!

This thing is built very sturdily and is plenty loud enough for small (i.e. bars, churches etc) to perform with. Obviously it is perfect for band practices and is very adaptable for recording, either digital thru the line out/headphone jack or mic'd. I have not had any trouble hwat so ever with this amp.

This is a hybrid amp, solid state pre-amp/tubed power amp, made in 2005. It has exceptional vesitiltiy for rock, blues, pop and my personal favourite music style of progressive rock with 2 channels (clean and O/D. The O/D channel has 2 settings and enough gain to satisfy all but the hard core grungers. The reverb is rich and very beautiful with a huge amount of head room while the master volume allows for playing your tone at lower volumes, just Krank up the channel volume to push the 12ax7 power tube, with out splitting your ear drums or rattling the nieghbours windows.

Zwikster
    I am very interested in buying this amp. Will this amp still have that deep rich low tone at lower volumes better than a Fender 25R Solid State? I hear that Tube amp need to be played at high volumes to get that preferred tone...but cant I just turn the master volume down and not get evicted from my apartment? thanks, comments are welcomed !