VR30 review by Vox

Vox: VR30

Purchased from: L&M

I've got a Godin Freeway Classic /w Godin (Seymore Duncan) pickups. I'm pretty much rock only, but I play some blues and acoustic sort of stuff. Clean is very nice and clear. Distortion is crisp, and not a whole lot of extra noise with gain turned to ten. It's a Pretty basic amp and isnt really good for anything special, but that's wat effect pedals are for am I right?

Great little amp, and for what I payed absolutley a great deal. It plays everything good, nothing exceptionaly. In 5 years this is probabbly the best overall amp that I've bought, unless you need something big, this is an amp to look at. Vox is defintley reliable brand, and quite well known, obviously if you can find this amp at all anymore, grab it, it might be worth something down the road, and it's good to play while you wait for it to become rare. The amp is what it is, play it before you buy it, make sure it works for you, if it's a decision between this and something similar, pick this one. You won't be disapointed. If it were stolen, I'd try and find one on ebay, or go back to L&M and see if they had one in the back that didn't sell. Obviously I might end up buying something else if I couldn't find one, but I'd look for a Vox amp for sure, whethwer it was a VR or not. What do I love about it? Not much, tone is real nice and rich, but other than that not much. The part I really like about this amp is that there isn't anything I don't like, obviously for 120$ I'm not shelling out a whole lot of doe, so the fact that there's nothing wrong with it at all is awesome. I compared it to about everything you could imagine, I was looking at Gibson amps, Marshalls, Crates, Kranks, and a Fender. But then I thought about what I needed and thought a a little smaller wasn't gonna hurt anything but help my wallet. The price was right, the size worked, and it sounds good. maybe a footswitch would have been nice, and reverb, but other than that nothing missing from this amp really.

I'd take this thing anywhere that it would have big enough sound, the amp itself is very reliable, just not very big, you have to know that it is right for the size of venue your playing. Never had a problem with it ever. The amp is built solid, and the speaker is good. It isn't gonna stop working all of a sudden I don't think, you'd have to mess with it for it to stop working. Only thing you'll ever need to change are the tubes, and maybe the speaker if your picky about sound.

Not sure when the amp was actually made, but production was terminated in late 06 and it was on clearance. It's good for music, nice softer tones, Gain mode is good, although I suggest adding your own touch to clear up the sound with a good pedal or board. 2 channels, no footswitch, but that's alright. Headphone jack used once to make sure it works, and it did. This a good quality practice amp, or a mediocre small venue performance amp. It'll hold it's own, but won't stand out. I'm pretty sure it's a tube hybrid, but it might be all tube, not sure.

Weybl Himself
    I don't think it's so much a 'crappier' version of the AC30, just something for the more budget concious player. It's just tough to compare any Vox to an AC30.
    greasemonkey
    enough with the kids who've only played for a year and have to review freakin everything.