GT212 120W review by White Horse

White Horse: GT212 120W

Price paid: £ 199.99

Purchased from: Gear4Music

The guitar that I use with this amp is a BC Rich Warbeast Standard (AWESOME) with Rockfield Mafia pickups. I love to play 'Metal' but also play blues and country e.t.c. The amp is very loud, at my house I only need to turn the volume up to about 0.3 to get the right sorta volume and to about 4 at band practice and about 7 at gigs. The amp has 4 different channels: Clean, tweed, fuzz and Metal. Each of these has 2 different settings indicated by a blue or green light. For instance the clean channel's blue setting is a Compressed sound whereas the green is an uncompressed 'fuller' sound. Tweed and fuzz are a bit pointless to me, Tweed is basically a slightly overdriven clean channel and Fuzz is...well I have never used Fuzz. The metal channel is debatable: The sound isn't really Metal, but a sort of a heavy Vintage rock sound, it isn't a terrible sound but it is just a bit misleading to buyers (not enough distortion). I use a Boss ME-20 pedal to get my distortion, and i find that it sounds much better through the clean channel than the metal channel. That isn't a bad thing, just a bit bizarre. The amp has 2x12" speakers which sound great and creates a sound with a lot of depth, it doesn't sound tinny at all compared to my old Laney LX35R. The sound that comes from the amp is clean and there is only barely noticeable feedback at high volumes which exceeded my expectations :D

For metal music with this amplifier alone, I would not recommend. But if you have a great pedal, then it sounds absolutely beautiful through this amp. I didn't expect the amp to sound this good because it was cheap for what it is, but it is much better than I expected and the variety of sounds and tones you can make is fantastic. Perfect as a 'Clean' amplifier and loud enough for a gig. Not too heavy for its size and a great price, also comes with a free footswitch.

The amp seems solid enough, I would much prefer the front had a kick-proof grill instead of the metal cloth. The back has no cover which is great for storing cables and pedals e.t.c. But it exposes some wires that are soldered on securely but with enough force you could break through the wire. I doubt I would ever need a backup at a gig, this thing doesn't look or sound like it will break anytime soon (take one anyway though).

This amp has a variety of features. Firstly, it has all the features you'd expect from any amp Bass, Mid, Treble, Gain and level but comes with effects as well. These effects include chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo and delay. The rate/time of these effects can be altered by pressing a button that flashes in correspondence with the rate/time of the effect. These effects are pretty decent, although i get much more control with my Boss ME-20 pedal. There are 5 slots to store 5 different settings, which is really useful. The amp has 2 12" speakers (music you play will be in stereo). There is a headphone slot on the amp, and a Line out slot and a phono connection so you can Jam with your mp3 player e.t.c. The GT212 can also use a footswitch pedal which is used to easily Switch between the 5 effect stores on the amp. (this was meant to be sold seperately, but mine came with the amp free of charge...No complaints there).

EpiExplorer
    White horse are THE best brand for cheap, decent amps. I'm aiming to get that stack combo thats like, 240. I've heard it play and its got one of THE best tones. Seriously, a tube amp and head combo for 240 new.
    IROn 5L1nKY
    it would be helpful if a little bit more information was given about the amp: such as, is it tube or solid state?
    Grim_eats_jebus
    Do white horse do tube amps? im lookin into buyin 1 but i think they r just on G4M cos they aren't in any shops.
    DannyJigg
    White horse are the 'Premium' own brand of gear4music. They do have a valve amp - This One also available in red. They are great quality for the price, well built and customer service reliable. Never had to send anything back but a friend of mine (who recommended them to me incidently) got a guitar with a bent whammy bar but was replaced free within the week.
    TheMagicDesk
    Thanks for this review dude, it convinced me to buy this amp instead of a different much smaller amp or the 60w version of this amp and its not let me down!
    rv_phoenix
    Anything would sound better, if compared to a Laney! And all amps sound much better with pedals! What kind of crap is this review? Since when the capability of playing metal is a reference? Only those who don't know much about a guitar play metal... I very much doubt that such a cheap amp, made in China by a wholesale distributor called Gear4Music (?!), can be at least decent. I bet it's a 'bang-for-the-bucks' type of equipment, suitable only for people with a severe lack of musical sense and sensibility.