GA-10 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Yamaha: GA-10

Purchased from: Costco

I used it along with my Epiphone junior and a DigiTech RP150 effects pedal. If you use it alone without the DigiTech it sounds okay. The clean channel is pretty good but the overdrive is too noisy. There's a chance that the sound may crack if you're playing lead parts.

I've been playing for 2 years but when I got this amp, I was really into simple straight to the point music like punk. It worked pretty well with punk but now that I'm learning to play solo-filled classic rock, the amp isn't cutting it for me. It works well with rhythm but not in leads as it tends to crack and lose sustain. Overall, the amp is good for starting out but as you go further with playing, you might want to buy a bigger, more powerful amp. I don't regret ever buying this amp because it helped me improve my guitar playing in many ways. For the price I paid, I think it's worth it.

For the tiny amp, it's very durable. I opened it up many times before and it still works great. Although at one time I burned to fuse because of an experiment I tried to do so I had to replace the fuse. But it's not the amps fault, it was me. I won't recommend it as a gig amp. It's only suitable for a small to medium sized rooms. I tried to play it in my garage but it was too weak to be heard throughout the whole room.

I got mine around christmas 2006. The amp is a 10 watts, has two channels; the clean and the overdrive. It has a volume, a treble and a bass knob. It also comes with a headphone jack but I never really used it. Along with the amp, it comes with a set of guitar strings, 3 guitar picks, a tuner, a string winder and a CD that teaches you the basics of playing guitar.

piebot9
    jammer-91 : This amp sucks. I have it and youll regret buying the starter kit
    i agree but im broke so i still using it
    JessicaGonzo
    Ehh. The only thing good about this amp is that it amplifys. Besides that it blows. The " Overdrive" sounds a mess. Im About to buy a roland cube...
    picklepopcikle
    i had this amp but thank god i upgraded to a line 6 spider 3 30 watt amp. but this amp never broke down on me which is good
    nuclearganon
    It's the worst amp ever made. I'm starting to get okay at guitar now, i can play a few metallica songs and the legend of zelda theme. Anyway, the clean mode is too deep and quiet, and the overdrive is crap! I try to sound like metallica with it, but the OD is so heavy, that you can hardly notice when you change chords, especially at high volumes. And it constantly crackles with feedback, which is annoying. There's also not enough control over the sound, it gives the sound to extremes. It sucks! Don't buy it!
    Venom77
    I Have This Amp, It Sucks! lol. I Had Got It With My Starter Kit. The Guitar Is Worth It But Not The Amp... This Was The First Amp I Ever Owned, Then I Bought A Randall VMX30, And The Randall Blew This Little Amp Away. The Gain Sucks On The Yamaha GA-10 Amp...
    Bu113tProf
    I have this amp but upgraded to a 75 watt Line 6 Spider III in May. Now thats an amazing amp.. As for this one... Pretty much the worst piece of crap made. Distortion really sucks...
    jimbopo
    I have this amp as well. It works for me as I am still a beginner even though I've been playing for three years. (No instruction and lots of frustration keep holding me back.) The amp is sturdy and will take a few hits. There's a headphone jack, volume knob, treble and bass adjustment knob (which subsequently raises the volume if turned up), and a Clean/Overdrive switch. I find that the amp produces a good sound (as in decent enough) if you own a strat or any guitar that allows you to adjust the gain (pick-up settings). On clean setting with zero gain it sounds faint and on full gain it sounds like a country twang (great for Hog Bitch Stomp). Overdrive with no gain is a little too fuzzy but setting gain to the first pickup (moving the selector/switch to the next setting) gives it a sweet sound that it should have on clean. I found it works great playing any Stevie Ray Vaughan jazzy-like blues hit. Setting the gain to full on overdrive is like a roaring monster and sometimes the feedback is comming in so strong I don't even know what I'm hearing. Overdrive tends to have too much feedback and zero compression. Whatever you do to the string percussively translates terribly. There are no effects (echo, delay, tremelo, reverb etc...)Definately a practice amp. You might get a response if you played this in your house but not in a werehouse. I've tried the line 6 spider III before and can say with certainty I would recommend it over the GA-10 even if you were only practicing. But if effects aren't your swing and you only need a tiny bit of volume to play, it'll work.