GA-10 review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 5.5 Decent
Yamaha: GA-10

Purchased from: Merchant City Music

Obviously most amps in this class aren't known for their tone, and the Ga-10 is no exception. Despite messing around with the EQ almost constantly I've failed to find a tone that's acceptable. With the right settings, the clean tone can at least be made bearable, but the overdrive channel is just fuzz. What can I say? Its a 0 Watt practice amp, its for learning the basics on and that's it. Try to use it for anything more, and you'll just end up a broken mess who desperately needs therapy...

I'm now the proud owner of a Vox Valvetronix VT30 which was bought to end the frustration the Ga-10 caused tone-wise. On top of that my Vox Night Train arrived the other day, meaning this little amp has seen its best days. However it will remain useful, as its portability and reliability means I can take it pretty much anywhere that has an electric supply - plus if my friends want something to mess around on, then I'd rather they used this than my NT. Overall I don't regret my parents buying that starter pack because I gained a good guitar out of it in my Pacifica 012. At the time I knew nothing about guitar and neither did my folks, but even if I could go back I don't think I'd advise them to get something different, because its been so useful and will be for years to come, due the fact that its bomb-proof and I don't give a shit about what happens to it.

This is where the Ga-10 gets its plaudits. Despite 1 and a half years of being crammed in my suitcase on 5 hour train journeys, being kicked around my living room by my drunken mates, being pissed on by my dog (seriously), and basically being completely neglected, the darn thing still works as well as it did the day it arrived. It would never be gigged, even as a total last resort, but it can stand up to a proper beating.

This amp came as part of a Yamaha starter pack that my parents bought for my birthday in 2008. It comes with the basic EQ settings (treble, middle and bass), volume knob, an overdrive/clean switch, input jack and headphones jack. Its basically what you'd expect from a little starter/practice amp.

wchurchill
    the overdrive on this sounds like a distorted fart srsly , u rather get a distortion pedal through it to make it sound decent