GA-15 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: GA-15

Purchased from: viva

I use a Yamaha EG112C with this amp, and it makes a pretty good sound, the clean channel its good but its more like a 7/10 in quality and when the volume is high its sometimes makes a weird noise, but the distortion its freaking awesome! (at least for me) with the gain at 10 it make a cool metal distortion, while putting the gain at lower levels may not sound so well, when having the distortion at the max using the bridge pickup it sounds brutal and suits my music perfectly, but using the neck pickup also makes it sounds heavy, a little less of course but still metal style, sometimes I use the clean channel with a Behringer OD300 pedal and it sounds pretty awesome in overdrive and distortion. If the cleans were better I may have give it a 10/10.

I play mostly heavy metal, and the amp sound the exact way I need, I've been playing this amp for 2 years with my Yamaha EG112C, may the cleans not sound so well but I rarely use it and the distortion is awesome. If the amp were stolen or lost I probably buy it again but this time new generation. I've used a Marshall MG15 and the clean sounds a lot better but the distortion was lame and pretty mild. I wish this amp had an effect loop or maybe that it had some effects but the pedals do that job.

As I've seen this amp can take a lot of punishment, I mean I'm not a troglodite with it but it seems to resist those 2 years of use with no scratchs. I've never had any problem with it, it has never broke or stop working.

Actually I paid MXN $1300 which is like 100 dollars. I got this amp in early 2010 as my first amp at the same time I bought a Yamaha EG112C, and I think its pretty good, it has a 3 band eq, 2 channels (clean and drive) and a headphone jack, it has a 6.5 speaker. With a good EQ you can play almost any kinds of music, I usually play hard rock and metal. I used to use this amp as my main one before change it forin little concerts (an area no bigger than a basketball field) and it was enough to be heard, I think its pretty great for its size, I mean its a practice amp and there is no need for other features. Wish it was bigger.

nailsarecruel
    I've got the same guitar and amp and i disagree with the sound review. The clean channel is great but apart for adding some light grit to your tone, the overdrive is better left off. Invest in a decent-good quality multieffects pedal and run it through the clean channel if you want to experiment with sound. Never had a problem with mine, but my buddy's worked for half a year before emitting loud bassy pulses whenever he tried adjusting the tone controls. Great guitar/amp combo for beginners, especially if you're wary about dropping cash on an expensive combo and then giving up on it.
    NHECOS
    If you want a great Yamaha amp you should try out the THR 10... I have one, and it rocks. That Ga15 is not such a great deal dude.
    nab9411
    My amp fell of a bus that wasn't going that fast and it still worked fine, just a couple scratches. I got mine in a starter pack with my Yamaha EG 112C. I still use it with my Epi and it sounds great