GA-15 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: GA-15

Price paid: € 25

I use this amp with an Epiphone G-310 with passive pickups toned in drop B and a Boss ML-2 Metal Core. Even with this hardcore gear, and even if I play at really high gain, the quality of the sound that I got from the Yamaha is very nice. I play mainly rhythm parts, and even if my sound becomes very noisy and confused, the combination between this amp and the Boss effect allows me to get still a really good and faithful quality, for all this being an home gear. The clean channel really impressed me because it's really well done, a good output and really good quality, really stick to the original sound of my guitar, which allows me to get a really good distortion trough this channel and my ML-2. The overdrive channel is also good, nothing special compared to a real distortion, but for being an overdrive by a base 15 W, I must say it's also worth to be considered (still now, having a pedal, sometimes I have fun playing with it's more vintage, crunchy sound). The equalization too is good, I can hear clearly the changing in the sound moving the three knobs: I play mainly in a V style eq (high lows and trebles, and zero mids), and the sound I got really hits me in the chest, played in my little room.

I've been playing just for six months, but I was enough lucky to try out another two or three amplifiers. Compared to the Fender 15 W, this Yamaha seems to be better to me: I couldn't try the Fender too much, but I think that the Yamaha has more output and a stronger overdrive. Compared to bigger amplifiers, of course my little friend can't compete, but it's natural. If it were stolen I would buy a 30 W Mesa Boogie or Line 6 I think, because I need a great quality at greater gains, and now I need an amplifier with which I can gig. But probably I would buy another little Yamaha just for playing at home, because a 30 W or 75 W probably couldn't reach enough gain to give a good quality without my neighbours knocking at my doors trying to kill me. For that, I'm glad of having such a little but cheap and good-quality amplifier.

It really gives me a feeling of solidity, helped by the fact that's a combo. Of course I don't think I can use this for a gig, the quality isn't enough to play at high gain, as the power (just 15 Watts) can't be enough. Inspite the fact that it has been used for a couple of years before I bought it, it really looks like being just made and like it's just got out from the factory. For that fact, I think you can trust this amplifier, and until now it didn't gave me any kind of problem (and it has a really black, cool look too).

I bought this amp used by a friend of mine, so I don't know where it was made. This is just a little solid state combo, cheap 15 W amplifier, but for its price it's really worth buying. It has two channels (clean and drive), a volume knob for each channel, a gain knob for the Drive channel for the overdrive and three knobs for equalization (low, mids and trebles) that works for both channels. Also it has a common 3.5 jack line out for headphones. I play mainly hardcore punk, industrial metal or metalcore, so any kind of music that involves high gain riffs, and I must say that even if I still didn't go over 25-30% of maximum volume (because I play at home, and around this level the amp has already a really good, loud output), the amp can keep up good with my playing. The sound becomes a little confused at that point, but for being a really cheap home amplifier, it's really more than enough. I'm very satisfied with its quality.

Battery Chicken
    This is why UG's rating system is completely pointless. A $100 solid state amp with a sound score of 8. In the grand scheme of amp tone, a low end solid state should recieve no more than a 3.