HY-10G lll review by Yamaha

• Reviewer's score: 3.5 Poor

I have a strat copy that I thought was amazing with this amp, until I freed myself of my n00bdom. Seriously, no guitar could survive through this thing, it's that bad. I occassionally play some classic rock, but usually metalcore, and this is probably the worst amp for this music style. It's "distortion" knob is not distortion! It simply makes a muddy clean sound and raises the volume a bit. There is virtually no gain no this thing so don't expect anything amazing.

This is one of those amps that n00bs (like me in the past) get scammed into buying from those "value packs". It's really not worth it, seriously, just fork out another $50 and at least get something Decent like a low wattage Crate depending on your music style. If this were stolen or lost, I'd probably thank my theif, give him a hug and some fruit for putting up with the horrrible tone, and buy him dinner. THere's really nothing I like about it, except that it makes even a Line 6 Spider seem amazing. If this were a dog, it would most definitely be that ugly little mut in the corner being all emo with the local fat kid with a fetish for ugly dogs. Enough analogies? Ok, don't buy it!

I've owned it for 2 years now, and played it for 4 months until I really could stand it no longer, and it has't broken or anything yet. You'll probably get sick of this thing before anything breaks. Kind of small though, but what do you expect, it's only a 15W.

It was probably made sometime in the late '90s. It's not a versatile amp, as it is just a piece of crap for any type of music, except rap, does rap even have guitar? 1 channel, and it has a headphone jack so you can listen to crappy sound without disturbing others. It really has no features, I mean it's very very basic. It's a 15 Watt solid state, so it pretty much is only loud enough for room practice.

george.days
    Love this little amp was walking my dog found it on the side of a dumpster where I live thought that someone threw it out cause it was blown or something like that brought it home clean it up its pretty simple the clean channel sounds great the distortion is a bit muddy add some pedals for color and you have a great practice amp....
    nikhil101
    ahahahahahah
    lazlow325i
    It is very reliabel, and durabel. It's prolly 10 years old and still "rockin".
    I love when I'm expected to take a review seriously when the reviewer can't spell above a fifth grade vocabulary.
    beefyboy232
    Its a Yamaha. what can you expect? You should see the ones our school has. im surprised theyre still holding together.
    treiso
    i refuse to sit and watch you slander an amp when you believe that line 6's are bad, because you my friend have issues! Not only do you deny a good quality amp, but you say noob!? Better yet, you spell it with two '0's. I rest my case.
    icup grunts
    I have this amp as a hand-me down from an old starter kit, I didn't pay money for it, and don't think that I would. Distortion is TERRIBLE! I use it as a practice amp, I don't think it will ever die though, it is already pretty old and still making noise.
    schwarter0peter
    I have bought it at ebay for about 20 $ one year ago and I'm still quite satisfied with it. I ripped the "amp" out of its case, decontaminated the speaker - was broken anyway - and use it with a 12" box parallel to a 10" box (Fane's really an insider tip on ebay) on a Strat copy with a refitted Humbucker and a distortion Pedal in my living room now. The clean channel is really good for it. No comparison to the bass cutting blues distortion offerd by the amp itself- damn bad for H- dropped guitars. I think its absolutely ok for the price I payed!
    conversar
    This is my first guitar amp and I'm having a blast! It sounds great to my ears, very clean, sweet sound. Perfect for practicing. It looks and feels like a well made, good quality amp. A reliable Yamaha after all. Got it on eBay for $23 shipped and could not be happier.
    Albrecht.S
    My guitar teacher plays this amp with all knobs at ten except the volume in distortion mode.... He has all kind of vintage amps and stuff and can play any hendrix stuff and believe me: this amp ROCKS! BUT just at practise-volume ... so no Clubb gigging haha ... With right skill your just like "wtf is that sound with sustain this good at low volume with DYNAMICS" So I just can laugh if you say this amp is crap ... i even got orange, marshall and mesa amps .. but I play this amp in my bedroom haha no joke!