AmpKit 2.0 Review

manufacturer: Agile Partners date: 12/28/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Agile Partners: AmpKit 2.0
An industry standard for amps & effects on iOS, AmpKit's latest update introduces MIDI & AirTurn control functionality.
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.6
 9.3
 7.8
 10,023
review (1) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
AmpKit 2.0 Featured review by: UG Team, on december 28, 2013

Ease of Use: I've used multiple amp simulators on iOS and what I like most about AmpKit is how it operates the same way as a real world effects chain and amplifier. If you have ever connected a series of pedals and plugged them into an amp, then you'll be able to use AmpKit immediately. I didn't spend much time wondering, "what does this do?", and I was playing with a good setup in just a few minutes. Once I understood how to tweak a setup, I found the interface super fast and intuitive. You can mix and match amplifiers, speaker cabinets and microphones; and you can add and tweak a seemingly infinite number of pedal effects (I gave up after 18). AmpKit is introducing new MIDI & AirTurn control compatibility. The added functionality brings the usefulness of the app to the next level. I tested AmpKit with a 4-button MIDI controller and it worked flawlessly. Figuring out how to use 2 pedals to move from one setup to the next, and the other 2 pedals to perform independent operations in each setup took no time at all. This newly added control compatibility is flexible without being overwhelming, which is a theme I notice in many areas of the app. // 9

Sound: There are a ton of reviews for amp simulators on iOS and I have yet to read one that addressed a simple and crucial point: the quality of sound output is directly related to the quality of the guitar interface. I opted to test AmpKit using well known digital interface that works well with all apps. I liked what I heard. AmpKit, like other apps of its kind, has big gain and distortion. These apps all have rock and metal gain setups in mind, and they all execute. I found AmpKit had the tightest controls and most nuanced sounds when I was using distortion effects and overdriving the amp head. When I tried using AmpKit for cleaner sounds, they were crisp and clear, and there were no hints hiss or buzz. I was pleased to find that clean setups didn't necessitate a Noise Gate, which brought that much more signal clarity. On a side note, I might have lost a half day using the Acoustic8 pedal, which turns your electric signal into a customizable acoustic guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The app never crashed while I was using it, but I went online to look at how it has performed for durability over time. What I found was that the developer has provided free updates to the app over the last 4 years, and those updates are backed up with above average customer support. On reliability, it's worth mentioning that AmpKit is a universal app. If you get the app for iPhone, then you can install it on an iPad without having to buy it all over again from scratch. If you buy gear inside the app on one, you can run a "restore" inside of the app on other devices, and everything transfers over for free. // 10

Overall Impression: I've used several of these apps, and you probably know at least three of them off the top of your head. AmpKit had taken the top spot on my device. I've found the combination of flexibility and sound output is the best among its peers. The new MIDI control definitely leads the pack for making the most out of my little controller. The gear selection is huge (I have all of it at this point) and I'm looking forward to what the developers have in store for the future. // 9

Comments