P1 Intelliphase review by Akai

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Akai: P1 Intelliphase

Purchased from: ebay

My favorite setting on phasers is a slow and deep phase, and when I dial that in on the Intelliphase, it's really subtle. That's the only real problem I have with this pedal: It's too subtle. I think the sound is most akin to the MXR Phase 90, which I'm not a big fan of. It also slightly colors your tone when it's on, but it wasn't very noticeable.

Think of this as a more versatile MXR Phase 90. If you're into that sound, I'd check this one out. The Intelliphase is about 4 times the size of the Phase 90, but I think since the Intelliphase is overall more versatile, it's better than a Phase 90. I didn't really like the sound of this pedal. In my opinion, I can get better sounding phase tones with a small stone.

It's made out of metal, and I think if I dropped it it would still work. I would use it at a gig without a backup. The switch for turning on the touch phaser mode seems pretty flimsy. I'm almost certain the switch would break after a year or so of continuous use.

It's got your basic Depth, Speed, and Feedback knobs on it, which are easy enough to figure out if you know anything about phasers. It's also got a "Touch Phaser" switch on it, with 3 positions: Off Soft Touch, and Hard Touch. Off negates the whole touch sensitivity deal, Hard Touch activates the phasing when you the vibrations from the strings get up to a certain point, and Soft Touch activates the phasing when the vibrations go down to a certain point (as it's decaying). There is also a Touch Sensitivity knob, which decides what point the vibrations have to reach in order for the phasing to activate in Hard Touch or Soft Touch modes. I don't really have a use for the touch phaser mode, but others might. I do not have a manual.

dogtown163
    I have this model, very good peval, true bypass, flexible configuration, good tone. This pedal is better mxr90, but pedal a large and it's only drawback.
    Anthony1991
    What this is better than the MXR Phase 90? Pedal Royality? I'd kill for an MXR Phase 90, it sounds amazing. I fail to see how an Akai pedal betters it?
    simmy17
    The akai is better than the phase 90 IMO because you can get the phase 90 sound out of it (when I dialed it in right, it sounded exactly like a phase 90), but the akai much more versatile and costs less.