P1 Intelliphase Review

1,683
review (1) pictures (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
P1 Intelliphase Reviewed by: simmy17, on january 28, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: It's got your basic Depth, Speed, and Feedback knobs on it, which are easy enough to figure out if you know anything about phasers. It's also got a "Touch Phaser" switch on it, with 3 positions: Off Soft Touch, and Hard Touch. Off negates the whole touch sensitivity deal, Hard Touch activates the phasing when you the vibrations from the strings get up to a certain point, and Soft Touch activates the phasing when the vibrations go down to a certain point (as it's decaying). There is also a Touch Sensitivity knob, which decides what point the vibrations have to reach in order for the phasing to activate in Hard Touch or Soft Touch modes. I don't really have a use for the touch phaser mode, but others might. I do not have a manual. // 9

Sound: My favorite setting on phasers is a slow and deep phase, and when I dial that in on the Intelliphase, it's really subtle. That's the only real problem I have with this pedal: It's too subtle. I think the sound is most akin to the MXR Phase 90, which I'm not a big fan of. It also slightly colors your tone when it's on, but it wasn't very noticeable. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It's made out of metal, and I think if I dropped it it would still work. I would use it at a gig without a backup. The switch for turning on the touch phaser mode seems pretty flimsy. I'm almost certain the switch would break after a year or so of continuous use. // 8

Overall Impression: Think of this as a more versatile MXR Phase 90. If you're into that sound, I'd check this one out. The Intelliphase is about 4 times the size of the Phase 90, but I think since the Intelliphase is overall more versatile, it's better than a Phase 90. I didn't really like the sound of this pedal. In my opinion, I can get better sounding phase tones with a small stone. // 5

Comments