TightMetal review by Amptweaker

Amptweaker: TightMetal

Purchased from: ebay

I am running it with a Dean ML XF to a Peavey Rage 158 combo amp (I need a new amp). Because of the gate, this pedal makes little to no excess noise. I have also owned an MXR Fullbore Metal, and this has a WAY better gate in terms of aggressiveness and timing. This pedal has sounded great to me so far. No downside to this pedal in my opinion, James totally nailed it. With this pedal I can get the tones of alot of thrash bands, namingly Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeth. It really matches those tones. My favorite band is Pantera, but it can't quite get the right tone of Dime. But here's the thing: I contacted James, and he said that I can run an Overdrive through the effects loop to get even more distortion, gain, and tonal options. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. The sound is outstanding in my opinion.

I play metal (obviously). This pedal is absolutely what metal should sound like, heavy, chunky, etc. I have been playing for 5 years. I own a B.C. Rich Warlock, Dean ML XF, Epiphone SG Special, Washburn Taurus bass, and alot of effect pedals. Wah, Whammy, Flanger, and volume. If this was stolen or lost, I would Immediately get a replacement. I love the sound of this pedal, It is so versatile in many different ways. I don't hate anything about it, I love it. My favorite feature is either the Tight control or the EFX loop. The Tight lets me dial in the exact attack and tone that I want, and the EFX Loop lets me take my tone further, or have another added sound (such as Flanger) on only when this is on. I compared it with an MXR Fullbore Metal that I used to have. This destroys that pedal. The Fullbore had a certain aggressive crunch that sounded weird to me. Plus, this pedal has more special features than kids' action figures. I'm trying not to be too superficial of this pedal, but it's hard not be. Amptweaker needs to get noticed, and fast! I guarantee it will please any metal player.

Amptweaker pedals have a very solid build and are high quality. I would definitely use it at a gig with no backup. It is very reliable, and I'm sure it will last. The knobs and switches don't seem faulty or like they're gonna break. The jacks are solid. Under the logo, it says "Handmade In The USA", so its built really well.

I bought this brand new on ebay. The Amptweaker TightMetal is honestly the best distortion pedal I've used. It is designed by James Brown, designer of the Peavey 5150. When I first opened it, I noticed all of the great features that came with it. It has a magnetic battery slot, so you don't have to flip the whole thing over to get to the battery. It also has an EFX Loop which is just an awesome feature. Amptweaker is the only brand with the "Tight" control. With this knob you can tweak the amount of attack and aggressiveness. It has a switchable on/off noise gate which is really tough. It works in conjunction with the gain: more gain, the more aggressive the gate is. Then I plugged it in and changed the settings, it is very easy to get a good sound out of. The manual that came with it explains the functions of each knob. It features a mid switch. On the left it is Normal and on the right is scooped for thrash. The manual that came with it explains the functions of each knob and switch. It has tips on the back of the manual on how to get the best sound possible. It can be powered by 9V OR 18V DC adapters. Depending on which you use, the tone will change. 18V is more dynamic and full. Oh, and if you're using a battery, there is switch on the top to cut the battery out, so you won't have to unplug after you play. James thought of everything on these pedals.