King Of Tone V4 review by Analogman

Analogman: King Of Tone V4

Purchased from: eBay

This is how I set the KoT with my 67 Super Reverb and Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I set the amps to just over the edge of breakup. Its crunches a little when I play hard, and cleans up when I Pick lightly. This is the pallet from which I use the KoT. It pushed the amp so it sounds like tube heaven. I owned a JHS Double barrel which is the same idea with the dual overdrive, but it not nearly as natural sounding as the KoT. The KoT really lets your guitar and amp sound come through. Combining this with my Klon Centaur for a clean boost, and its the best sounding leads I've ever heard.

Everything Analogman puts out is great. Its because the pedals aren't made on a factory assembly line in the orient. Its made by hand here in the USA. For that very reason, this pedal comes at a price. Not just monetarily, but a long waiting list. Its well worth the wait to get one, but if you can't wait, just pay twice price on eBay like I did! LOL.

Gigged with, has yet to have a failure.

If you can dial in an Overdrive pedal, then you can get great sounds from the KoT. That being said, most people do not set up Overdrive pedals correctly. They assume that they need to Dime the gain knob, but this really just sounds like shit.

rowan1234
    just got one of these, honestly the best od ive played. Worth the money and wait.
    mattpeyton
    I own this and know the maker 20 years. It's two pedals in one, a boost and an OD. I have a half dozen other boosts and OD pedals with similar amounts of positive write ups.... This one does indeed rule the throne for boost and OD.... Very different than a screamer or Plexitone style. At the level of a Suhr, Timmy or Zendrive but with a little less gain and a little more dynamics. We'll worth the wait a God bless Mike the Analogman who makes many great things.
    schwa6970
    When purchasing a pedal like this you are paying for build quality as well as tone. They specifically build their pedals to be repaired if ever need be by anyone that can handle a soldering iron. Most store bought pedals end up in a landfill if they break down because of the way they make their circuiit boards. I am patiently waiting for mine to put in front of my Mesa Mark 5.
    bradkossbk
    I just recently joined the KoT "Waiting List" (the web site said that orders before Jan 14/14 were being finished in Oct,2, 2014). This is just a bit too FUCKING MUCH for a "Boutique" pedal, no matter how good it is !!! Frankly "Boutique" pedals aren't much better than Store bought pedals, except the may have a "modification" or two and they charge a premium price (Around $450+) for something that does NOT sound very different. "Boutique" does NOT MEAN BETTER, in all honesty it means "COMPLETELY OVER-PRICED STATUS SYMBOL"! Take KLON for an example, in reality a $150. pedal being sold for $600, and USED "King of Tones" going for $500 on Ebay when they cost $235. once you get a notice that they're building yours. Honestly if you're a PRO Musician with Endorsement(s) contracts, maybe you can afford this stuff, but for the rest of us I'll stick to what Guitar Center has on sale.