Punch Factory Optical Compressor review by Aphex

Aphex: Punch Factory Optical Compressor

I use this pedal with an SG copy, a Danelectro fish n' chips EQ and a valveking. This pedal is very transparent, in that it does not colour my tone what'soever and only compresses it. It does coax more feedback when the pedal is on, but turning the volume to about 75% helps immensely. The effect itself is brilliant, I get multitudes of sustain and it compresses my signal without the audience knowing a pedal has been used, it's subtle yet effective.

I play clean jazz to heavy rock, and I would say this pedal is best in the clean arsenal of sounds, but I would never dream of turning it off. I've been playing 4 years and along with my EQ pedal it is one pedal I could not gig without! I would definately buy this pedal again if needed, it has a brilliant sound and does not rip holes in your pockets. I love the simplicity and the look and the sound, a great feature is the decibel meter which shows when the pedal is attacking and how loud your playing. Also love it's true bypass (although that's not needed when the pedal is never off). Overall, if anyone is searching for a compressor, seriously consider this bad boy, you will not go wrong with it.

It's built in a reasonably heavy duty metal casing, and hasn't broken on me or the previous owner (or the previous owner before that) so I would say reliability is definatley good. My only quarrel is with plastic jacks but if you don't yank your cables then nothing will break.

This pedal is easy to use, it has two knobs - Drive for amount of compression and volume. It has an on and off Switch and switches for use of active pickups and you can run it off phantom power if using it as a D.I. I didn't get a manual with it as I bought it form a friend, but I don't need one. It's is very easy to get a good sound out of it. However I will rate this section as a 7 as there are many people out there Who will want to have more control over their compression, but for me it's perfect.