MTE-1 Tubulator review by Arion

Arion: MTE-1 Tubulator

I'm using it with a pretty cheap First Act (hey, it's still a nice guitar), with hummbucker pickups and a $40 35W RMS amp, and this pedal really pushes this thing over the edge! It does a wonderful job on distortion, and I can get that great Metallica sound for Enter Sandman out of it. Pretty clean sound, even when cranked pretty much all the way up. Of course, it does have a certain amount of 60 cycle humm, but they all do. Great tube emulation, and as I've already said, great for overdriving your amp!

I've been playing for about 3 years now, and I play blues, rock, and a little heavy metal (i.e. Metallica), and this thing sounds pretty nice on all those. If I'm doing a simple blues scale, I turn down the distortion a bit for that wonderful, warm, tube sound. If I want some heavy metal sounds, I crank all 3 knobs and kick some butt! Overall, I would for sure buy another if it broken/stolen, especially for the price.

Incredible tube-amp simulation in a pedal with sweet, soft-edged distortions. Has controls for level, tone, and degree of distortion.

Anchoret
    Considering this pedal sells new for as little as US$9.99 from time to time on musiciansfriend.com, it's really a must-have. It does a pretty fair job and is more rugged than it looks. It's probably the ONLY Arion pedal that enjoys a decent reputation, and it's very popular. It's one of the dwindling number of stomps that are user-moddable, not having a surface-mount PCB with micro components. Simple circuit, easy to experiment with.