SCH-Z Stereo Chorus review by Arion

Arion: SCH-Z Stereo Chorus

Purchased from: Aroundabout Sound

I use it through a Gibson SG Special into a Marshall DSL50, with MXR Distortion+ and a Crybaby. It's very quiet if it has its own power supply, but when I hook all my pedals up to this multipower adapter, it squeels like a pig, but that's is the adapter, nothing to do with the pedal. I have to say, I was very surprised as it's sounds fantastic. I bought to try and get my tone closer to those on Iron Maidens "Somewhere in Time" album, and it does it perfectly. On clean it really does sound phenominal and with a nice helping of Overdrive it retains the clarity you want, and really shines in both channels. Switch on a nice dose of reverb with it and the the leads really sound atmospherical. One thing I would say however is that I find it quite bassy, so turn the "tone" control up and the problem is sorted, but hey, it all depends on the individual, and is easily tailored as mentioned before.

I favour 80's metal like Maiden, Metallica, but generally play all styles, ranging from groups like Extreme to Wheatus. It suits all styles, and can be altered quickly with the 3 controls. My favourite thing still though is jamming along to sit, and sounding pleasingly identical to Adrian Smith and Dave Murray. I've been playing for about 2 years, and I'm pretty advanced, plus being anal about tone, I wouldn't have bought this if it didn't Live up to expectations. I was originally considering the MXR Chorus, but for nearly 200, this seemed a little steep. If it were lost or stolen etc. I would either buy the model again, or save for the MXR one, unfortunately nowhere near me regularly stocks the MXR Chorus, and I would liek to try it out and compare. Either way, this pedal is a real buy, and I couldn't reccomend it any more.

I can definitely depend on it, but my only problem is the batteries. Theres no real sign of knowing when they are running out, but you can change them quickly at a gig if need be, and the single 9v battery is in an ideal location; on the top, under an easily removable plastic cover - no screws! I do intend on purchasing the Dunlop Power Brick though, but in the mean time batteries are fine. The only thing that I think lets the pedal down is the "feel" of it, the chunky plastic casing feels cheap (which it is, but the sounds are perfect). If it were mounted in a nice heavy die cast metal box like the MXR stompers are, it would be flawless. It also means it is not as heavy, so could be moved around easily on stage if not in a pedal board. I would happily gig with it without a backup, and will be putting it to the test in the coming month, so if there are any problems I'll update this!

Firstly, I'm very specific about my tone, so I only buy pedals that I know I can tailor perfectly to the sound in my head. This doesn't fail. There's 3 knobs controlling rate, depth, and tone, which is really all you need in my opinion. You can get a nice, slow chorus with a good level of depth all the way to a really quick one, the latter I have no time for, but I didn't buy it for that, and as it's extremely versatile, anyone can get the sounds they want from it. The manual was in Japanese and English, and isn't really any use, just plugging it in a fiddling around yourself is the only realy way to find out about it's features. I have no idea what the firmware is, and there were no mods done to it. The stereo feature is great, meaning you can use two amps for a really big effect.

ready2breakdown
    i definitely underrated this pedal at first. I felt the urge to throw some money away, so i bought it and I actually haven't stopped using since I bought it. It's probably not going to leave my board anytime soon unless it breaks, which I dont see happening! But really it sounds great. I use it on a few of my band's solos and almost always on cleans to make them sparkle a bit more.
    limefan913
    I've been told that for the price this is a great pedal. I'm going to pick one up the first chance I get.