AGF-3 G-Fuzz Review

9.5
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
AGF-3 G-Fuzz Reviewed by: vic2n, on september 06, 2016

Purchased from: Aliexpress.com

Ease of Use: It has 2 knobs - volume and fuzz, pretty simple, pretty easy to get nice sound. You can change the sound on amp EQ to have your own fuzz sound. Different G-Fuzzes may sound slightly different. That is because of germanium transistor. Each is unique. I tested 2 of them and one was a little more overdrived. I would recommend to test more of them at your store if it is possible. English and Chinese manual is included in package. Also velcro is included. You must supply it with 9V DC adapter, can be problem for someone, who uses batteries only. Adapter is not included. // 10

Sound: This effect is perfect for getting into '60s. It sounds very rich and raw, creamy, mellow. I tested it with my Vintage V100 AFD Paradise (HH Les Paul) and Vintage V6 Icon (HSS strat, for singles). I used Blackstar HT-40 Club clean channel (boutique and also modern). It is not noisy but you have to turn volume knob to max, when the fuzz knob is at low or to boost it a little. I produces heavy fuzz sound with modern clean channel ideal for riffs. With boutique clean (slightly crunchy sound when fuzz off) it produces unstable sound like you really can hear electrons flowing through Germanium PN barrier. When fuzz knob turned around middle it pretty makes your solo organic. I personally like fuzz knob on max it really sounds like your amp is gonna blow. I did not liked it with single coil, the sound was too inconcrete and heavy. With HBs I had no problem. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Hardware seems pretty durable, metal coating. Knobs are plastic. I would use it on a gig. True bypass. 9V DC as usual. I like the metal knob guard. You can get crazy with it, you not gonna hurt it. I can't tell how long it will it last due to its low price. But the sound worths it. If it lasts more than 2-3 year I am completely satisfied with it. It is pretty small, so it fits perfect to any kind of pedalboard. It was very nice packed. Effect was covered in polystyrene and in magnetic box (I was like, wait the box must have cost 10 dollars). You don't have to be worry about international shipping when purchased online. It shouldn't get any harm when shipping. // 9

Overall Impression: It is good match with rock, blues, jazz and all kinds of experimental music. I wouldn't use it in metal. I would buy it again if stolen or lost. The price is 8 times lower than red Fuzz Face and it sounds very similar to it. It does not have EQ knobs, but old fuzzes hadn't too. I tried it together with my Hotone Krush (bitcrusher/sample rate reducer). I really liked the tone I got from it when I toggled the bit resolution to 5 in phonograph mode and turned volume on my guitar to very low. Fuzz was before Hotone and was at maximum gain. You can get nice staccatos for your solo. You have gained sound without sustain. Excellent with reverb (I used the dark version of reverb in amp). // 10

Comments